An electrical malfunction at the back of the building Thursday morning caused a fire at the All Saints Temple of Faith church on Odell Street, according to a Baton Rouge Fire Department news release.
The call came in reporting the fire at 5 a.m., the release says.
Fire damage was contained to the area around the point of origin but smoke damage occurred throughout the church.
No one was injured.
Members of the congregation have started to make plans to find a different location for services, the release says.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents were called to the scene, a standard procedure anytime a fire occurs at a church, the release says.