Here’s what’s happening this week in the area arts and cultural scene:
- Baton Rouge Community College, 201 Community College Drive, has scheduled several events in celebration of Black History Month: “An Evening with Dr. Calvin Mackie,” 1 p.m. Tuesday, Feb 24, Magnolia Performing Arts Pavilion; a jazz workshop with Stephanie Jordan and Eric Baskin, 1 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 25, Recital Hall in Governors Building; Bamboula, 5 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 25, Magnolia Performing Arts Pavilion; and Stephanie Jordan’s tribute to Lena Horne, 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 26, Magnolia Performing Arts Pavilion. For more information, call (225) 216-8432 or visit mybrcc.edu.
- The Christian Youth Theatre’s final performance, “Aladdin,” is set for 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 22, at the Magnolia Performing Arts Pavilion at Baton Rouge Community College, 201 Community College Drive. For more information, visit cytbatonrouge.org.
- Tickets are on sale for the one-person play, “Til Death Do Us Part,” the next in a series of plays featuring the character, “Sister,” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 28, at the LSU Union Theatre, Raphael Semmes Drive. For tickets, visit as.lsu.edu/home-parallax/union/union-theater.
- Habitat for Humanity is accepting submissions for the sixth annual Repurposing with a Purpose: Recycled Art Show and Silent Auction, set for 5-7 p.m. Thursday, March 5, in the Community Gallery at the Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge, 427 Laurel St. Artwork will be exhibited March 3-5. For more information, visit.habitatbr.org.
- The LSU Cinema For the Ears is set for 7:30-9 p.m. Monday, Feb. 23, at the LSU Digital Media Center, 340 East Parker Blvd. Admission is free. For more information, visit wp.music.lsu.edu.
- Tickets are on sale for Broadway star Ivan Rutherford’s concert at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 27, at the Pottle Music Auditorium, 310 Ned McGehee Drive at Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond. Tickets are $25, adults; and $15, university students with ID. For tickets, visit connect.southeastern.edu/rutherford.
— Compiled by Robin Miller firstname.lastname@example.org