- BUCKTOWN BASH: 11 a.m.-8 p.m., Bucktown Harbor and Marina, 325 Metairie-Hammond Highway, Metairie. Blessing of the shrimp fleet, live entertainment, kids’ activities, arts and crafts, food from Bucktown restaurants and more. $5; free, children ages 12 and younger.
- MANDEVILLE CITY SEAFOOD FESTIVAL: noon-midnight, Fontainebleau Park, 62883 La. 1089, Mandeville. Live music, food, crafts, children’s rides, fireworks and more. Proceeds benefit National Alliance of Mental Illness of St. Tammany. mandevillecityseafoodfest.com
- KREWE OF KOLOSSUS BOAT PARADE: 5 p.m.-sunset, Bayou St. John at Orleans Avenue, New Orleans. Floating parade. Creative costumes and participation with kayaks, canoes, rafts and paddle boats encouraged, but no gas motors, glitter, beads or glass bottles allowed. Free.
- CELEBRATION ON THE CANE: 6 p.m.-10 p.m., Natchitoches. Live entertainment and a fireworks show after sundown. (800) 259-1714
- LEBEAU ZYDECO FESTIVAL: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Immaculate Conception Church, La. 71, LeBeau. Zydeco bands, dancing and food. $12; $6, children. (337) 623-0303 or lebeauchurch.org
- RHYTHMS MUSIC FESTIVAL ON FALSE RIVER: Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Music, food and fun. No pets or ice chests.
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY
- GOLDEN MEADOW-FOURCHON INTERNATIONAL TARPON RODEO: Port Fourchon Marina, 288 Flotation Canal Road, Golden Meadow. Fishing contests, music, food and fireworks. (985) 396-2792 or gmfourchontarponrodeo.com
- 2014 ESSENCE FESTIVAL: Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans. Concerts each night in the Superdome and the Free Essence Empowerment Experience. Mainstage performers include Prince, Lionel Richie, Charlie Wilson and Tank. $58-$1,100. (512) 986-0051 or essence.com
- WEDNESDAYS ON THE POINT: 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., Algiers Point Riverfront, 200 Morgan St. Live music, food and local vendors. (504) 362-6436
Compiled by Emily Beck Cogburn