- HOLLYDAYS: Baton Rouge River Center. 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. The shopping extravaganza continues this weekend. The event also includes fashion, food and a showcase of The Junior League of Baton Rouge’s community programs and mission-based initiatives. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door. For more information, visit juniorleaguebr.org.
- BATON ROUGE ARTS MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, corner of on Fifth St. and Main St., Shop with over 50 artists from Louisiana and beyond, who will present original works of art in a variety of mediums. For more information, (225) 344-8558, ext. 222.
- CANARY ISLANDERS HERITAGE SOCIETY MEETING: 11 a.m., East Baton Rouge Parish Library, 9200 Bluebonnet Blvd. Celebrate the 19th anniversary of its founding and the 237th anniversary of the main emigration of Canary Islanders to Louisiana. All meetings are open to the public. www.canaryislanders.org.
- CHILDREN OF THE CANE: 6 a.m., Port Allen. An ultimate marathon in the sugarcane fields, this race includes 100-mile, 50K and 100K events. For more information and to sign up, email email@example.com.
- FREE FOOD SUNDAY: 4 p.m. The Radio Bar, 3079 Government Street. Les Bratton will cook pastalaya.
- FOLK DANCING PROGRAM: 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m., B’nai Israel Synagogue, 3354 Kleinert Ave. Dancers of all experience levels and all ages are welcome. Free. For more information, contact David Kirshner at (225) 756-5291 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- MUSIC BUSINESS WORKSHOP: 3 p.m.-5 p.m., Baton Rouge Music Studios, 9327 Burbank Drive. Learn about promoting your work and social media basics with Tyler Allen. Free for music studios members, $5 per workshop. For more information, call (225) 769-6225.
- LUNCH WITH LEANNE: 11:30 a.m.-noon, City Club of Baton Rouge, 355 North Blvd. Featuring professional singers, accompanied by Michael Borowitz and hosted by Leanne Clement. For more information, visit operalouisiane.com.
- DO-IT-YOURSELF LANDSCAPING WORKSHOP: 6:30 p.m., Ascension Parish Library Dutchtown branch, 13278 La. 73, Geismar. Learn the design process from start to finish – basic principles, plant materials, and maintenance.
- LADIES NIGHT WITH 100 BLACK WOMEN: 6 p.m.-9 p.m., XO Nightclub, 150 Mayflower Street. Enjoy cocktails, conversations and the launch the new organization 100 Black Women of Metropolitan Baton Rouge.
- BATON ROUGE GALLERY OPENING RECEPTION: 7 p.m.-9 p.m., 1515 Dalrymple Drive. See new works from gallery members Mary Ann Caffery, Samuel J. Corso, David DuBose and Steve Schmidt. Free. For more information, visit batonrougegallery.org.
- 1010 NIC GRAND OPENING: 5 p.m.-9 p.m., 1010 Nicholson Drive. Enjoy live music, food and drinks at the local shopping center’s unveiling.
- AWA EXHIBITING MEMBERS SHOW RECEPTION: 6 p.m.-8 p.m., Louisiana State Archives Building, 3851 Essen Lane. See works from Associated Women in the Arts. Free.
- HERITAGE LECTURE: 6 p.m.-8 p.m., Old Governor’s Mansion, 502 North Blvd. Discussing the history of the New Orleans Camelback House. For more information, contact Foundation for Historical Louisiana at (225) 387-2464.
COMEDY ÉTOUFFÉE: 9 P.M., KERRY BEARY’S ATOMIC POP SHOP, 2963 GOVERNMENT STREET. BATON ROUGE COMICS JEFF BUCK AND MIKE HONORE JOIN NEW YORK’S DAVID HEITI FOR A NEW VARIETY SHOW. THE WILSON BROTHERS’ JAZZ BAND ALSO PERFORMS. ALL AGES. $10.
- NEIGHBORHOOD ARTS PROJECT: Serving four communities — Scotlandville, Gardere, Old South Baton Rouge, and Melrose East. Art activities are developed around themes that celebrate different artists across cultures as well as exhibitions on view at the LSU Museum of Art. The education department also integrates a science or math component. All activities are adapted to pre-school through high school ages. (225) 389-7212
- CAAWS CAT ADOPTIONS: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays, Acadian Village Petco, 3535 Perkins Road. caaws.org
- CAAWS DOG ADOPTIONS: 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays, CAAWS Shelter, 6357 Quinn Drive. caaws.org
- CAT ADOPTIONS: Noon-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday, Cat Haven Adoption Center, 11130 N. Harrell’s Ferry Road. (225) 636-2680.
- DULCIMER SOCIETY BEGINNER CLASSES: 5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m., Mondays through Nov. 2, Community Bible Church, 8354 Jefferson Highway. Adults as well as children, over 10 years of age. A parent must stay with their child. Contact Helen Bankston at (225) 753-7917 to register. Free event and loaner dulcimers will be available.
- ELIZABETHAN GALLERY: 680 Jefferson Highway. Hours are 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. elizabethangallery.com
- FRAMEWORKS GALLERY: 8501 Highland Road. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, and 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. For more information, call (225) 769-0582 or visit fwgallery.net.
- THE GALLERY AT MANSHIP THEATRE: 100 Lafayette St. manshiptheatre.org
- JONES WALKER FOYER: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. “Do You See What I See?,” featuring photography by Denise Roussel, runs through Oct. 11. Hours are 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday, and 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. Free. (225) 346-5001.
- LOUISIANA ART & SCIENCE MUSEUM: 100 River Road S. (225) 344-5272 or lasm.org
- LOUISIANA’S OLD STATE CAPITOL: 100 N. Blvd. Hours: 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. (225) 342-0500
- LSU MUSEUM OF ART: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Check out the exhibitions “Toulouse-Lautrec and La Vie Moderne: Paris 1880-1910,” running through March 20, 2016 and “Shaking Up Prohibition: The Cocktail Drawings of Olive Leonhardt,” through Oct. 31. lsumoa.org
- LSU SCHOOL OF ART’S ALFRED C. GLASSELL JR. GALLERY: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, and noon-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. (225) 389-7180
- PET ADOPTIONS: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Companion Animal Alliance, 2680 Progress Road. (225) 774-7701
- PET ADOPTIONS: 11:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. Saturday and 12:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, PetSmart, 8660 Airline Hwy. Kittens, cats, puppies and dogs are available from the Northside Humane Society. (225) 964-6992
- PET ADOPTIONS: 11:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Friends of the Animals Adoption House, 8476 Highland Road. friendsoftheanimalsbr.org
- PLANETARIUM SHOWS: 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Louisiana Art and Science Museum, 100 S. River Road. (225) 344-527.
West Baton Rouge Museum: 845 N. Jefferson Ave., Port Allen. “House & Home” will be on display through Oct. 18. Walk-in and scheduled tours are now available in French. westbatonrougemuseum.org
- WINE WALK: 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Restaurant IPO, 421 Third St. Taste wines and enjoy foods in downtown Baton Rouge. $10 for a wine bracelet and a wine card for the list of venues and the number of tastings. Must be 21 years old. restaurantipo.com
- YELP! BR PET ADOPTIONS: Noon-4 p.m. Sundays, and 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Petco Acadian Village, 3535 Perkins Road. Applications accepted for adoption approval. (225) 485-9200 or email@example.com
Compiled by Whitney Christy