- NEW ORLEANS JAZZ & HERITAGE FESTIVAL: Fair Grounds Race Course, 1751 Gentilly Blvd., New Orleans. Mega-music festival with food, crafts, demonstrations and a lineup of glittering talent at stages and tents throughout the grounds. $75 at the gate, $5 children ages 2-10. nojazzfest.com
- ZFEST — ZACHARY ARTS & MUSIC FESTIVAL: BREC Zachary Community Park, 20101 Old Scenic Highway, Zachary. The ninth annual event will be a weekend full of activities for art and music lovers. Food and fun will be in abundance.
- THIBODAUX FIREMEN’S FAIR AND PARADE: 1101 Tiger Drive, Thibodaux. Proceeds from this festival benefit the volunteer fire department. Music, food, auctions, a run/walk and parade are highlights. firemensfair.com
- FESTIVAL IN THE PARK: Cassidy Park, 625 Willis Ave., Bogalusa. Annual Chamber of Commerce festival with arts and crafts, nonprofit and food booths.
- LITTLE RED CHURCH FOOD AND FUN FESTIVAL: St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church, 13396 River Road, Destrehan. The festival features bands, dance performances, pageants, paintball, karate exhibitions, carnival rides and Louisiana cuisine. scblittleredchurch.org
- OUR LADY OF PROMPT SUCCOR TOMATO FESTIVAL: 2320 Paris Road, Chalmette. The school and church fair is a celebration of south Louisiana delicacies, with live entertainment and a variety of festival royalty. olpsschool.org/TomatoFest.html
- ST. THOMAS MORE PARISH FESTIVAL: 7 p.m., St. Thomas More Catholic School, 11400 Sherbrook Drive, Baton Rouge. The 35th anniversary festival features music from The Molly Ringwalds on Saturday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., rides, booths and food. stmfestival.com
FRIDAY-SUNDAY, MAY 8
- CONTRABAND DAYS: Lake Charles Civic Center, 900 Lakeshore Drive, Lake Charles. Celebrating Jean Lafitte and his hidden treasures, the events are held at and around the Lake Charles Civic Center and include crawfish races, Cajun Days, boat races and pirates capturing the city of Lake Charles. contrabanddays.com
- ST. FRANCISVILLE/JACKSON SPRING GARDEN STROLL: St. Francisville Town Hall or Centenary Inn in Jackson. This fundraiser offers tours of homes in Feliciana Parish. stfrancisvillespringstroll.org
- TAKE 2 FILM FESTIVAL: 7:30 p.m., LSU College of Music And Dramatic Arts, Music & Dramatic Arts Building, Baton Rouge. View a variety of student films. There will be awards for Best Genre Film, Best Comedy, Best Drama, Best Documentary and Audience Award as well as Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Cinematography. Tickets are $5.