The Deana Martin concert Saturday opens the Greater Baton Rouge American Italian Association’s annual Columbus Day Festa celebration, which continues Sunday with an afternoon filled with events at the Belle of Baton Rouge Atrium.
Going on throughout the Festa, which is free and open to the public, are the Vino Stroll benefiting the McMains Children’s Developmental Center, a St. Joseph’s Altar, bocce ball, a virtual tour of Italy, Italian genealogy and history talks by Sal Serio, a Little Italy Shopping Village, Italian food, desserts, drinks and free prizes.
The schedule includes:
- 11:15 a.m.: Music by the New Orleans Express
- 12:15 p.m.: Scholarship award
- 12:30 p.m.: Presentation of Italian maids
- 1 p.m.: Italian 101 with Joe Ricapito
- 2 p.m.: Italian American marchers
- 2:15 p.m.: Media celebrity grape stop
- 2:30 p.m.: Kids’ activities (must be accompanied by adult)
- 3:15 p.m.: Italian 101 with Joe Ricapito
- 3:15 p.m.: Tarantella dance, Eh Cupari and “Strolling” (audience participation)
- 4 p.m.: Charity pizza eating contest
- 5 p.m.: Grand prize giveaway