Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue), will hold the following events:
- “Here We Birth Again — Birth Refresher Class for Parents” will be from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the hospital, Conference Room 2. Cost is $25 per couple.
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
Register at http://www.womans.org or (225) 231-5475.
Mary Bird Perkins
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center will hold a free breast cancer screening from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday at Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way. Call (225) 215-1234.
Capital Area Court Appointed Special Advocates Association, 848 Louisiana Ave., will hold an informational session for those interested in becoming CASA advocates at noon Monday. Court Appointed Special Advocates help neglected and abused children in the foster care system find a safe and permanent home. Call (225) 379-8598.
The following HIV services will be offered this week:
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Wednesday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 E. Washington St. Syphilis testing will be conducted from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Metro Health will also offer testing from 9 a.m. to noon Monday and Tuesday, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave.; 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earl K. Long Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue; and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday at Delmont Service Center, 3535 Riley St. For more information, call (225) 338-9333.
- Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer free, confidential HIV testing and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at the office. Call (225) 927-9810 or visit http://www.fsgbr.org.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events this week:
- “YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors” will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- Digestive & Urinary Cancers Support Group will meet at noon Monday at the office.
- “Fit & Fearless,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the office.
- Oral, Head & Neck Support Group will meet at 4 p.m. Wednesday at the office.
Call (225) 927-2273.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday and Tuesday.
Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. Call (225) 924-0123.
The Grief Recovery Center, 4919 Jamestown Ave., Suite 101, will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the office.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, 14040 Greenwell Springs Road.
All support groups are free and confidential. Call (225) 924-6621.
The Community Grief Support Group, in partnership with several other local agencies, will meet at noon Tuesday at Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave. The group is open to anyone coping with the loss of a loved one. Call (225) 927-2273.
Depression and Bi-Polar Support Alliance will meet from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at La Madeline Restaurant, 7915 Jefferson Highway. Meetings are free and open to people diagnosed with any depressive or bi-polar disorder. Family and friends are welcome. Call (225) 275-2778.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave.
Call (225) 924-1431.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following caregiver network group meeting for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia: 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at PACE of Baton Rouge, 7436 Bishop Ott Drive.
Call (225) 334-7494.
Lane Regional Medical Center, 6300 Main St., Zachary, will hold a Safe Sitter babysitter training class from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at the center. The program is offered to children ages 11-13. Class size is limited, and registration is required. Cost is $20. Call (225) 654-5263.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes:
- “Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at the office. Cost is $110.
- “Adult CPR” will be from 8 a.m. to noon Wednesday at the office. Cost is $70.
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 27, at the office. Cost is $90.
Call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A free grief support group sessions will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Sunrise Assisted Living, 9351 Siegen Lane.
- A special Holiday Grief Support Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Ochsner Medical Center, 17000 Medical Center Drive. Call (225) 767-4673.
- The hospice is seeking volunteers for patient/caregiver support, health fairs and office assistance. Call (225) 767-4673.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Resthaven’s Swan Room, 11817 Jefferson Highway.
- A support group meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16 (Pete’s Highway) in Denham Srpings.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
Baton Rouge General will hold Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, a free exercise program offering healing through dance and movement, from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., and at the same time Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
National Alliance on Mental Illness will hold a Connection Recovery Support Group meeting for those who lives are affected by mental illness at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Denham Springs/Walker Branch Library, 8101 U.S. Highway 90 in Denham Springs. For more information, call (225) 291-6262.
Co-Dependency Anonymous 12 Step — including Step 11 — meeting will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the University United Methodist Church, 3350 Dalrymple Drive, Room 204 of the Trice Building.
Call (225) 922-9543, and for literature, visit http://www.coda.org.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday. Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening. Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
Amedisys Hospice, Baton Rouge, 13702 Coursey Blvd., Suite 6A, is looking for volunteers to help with patients and their family members with life-limiting illnesses.
Volunteer opportunities include direct patient, indirect patient, comfort cooks and bereavement. Call (225) 751-4599.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone’s problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees. Meetings are confidential. Call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings. Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.