If you have information on classes, seminars and workshops, email it to email@example.com, or fax it to (225) 388-0351. Deadline is at noon each Monday. If your group is no longer listed here, you need to send an updated announcement of your classes and contact information.
ACADIANA CENTER FOR THE ARTS: 101 W. Vermilion St., Lafayette. CitySmarts Art and Science Camp, July 11-15, Individual Sports; and July 25-29, Backyard Sports. (337) 233-7060 or email Info@AcadianaCenterfortheArts.org.
ALLIANCE FRANCAISE DE LAFAYETTE: (337) 261-1002 or http://www.aflafayette.org. Various French classes geared to all ages, including toddlers. Classes take place at Acadiana Symphony Association, 412 Travis St., Lafayette.
BALLROOM DANCE CLASSES & WORKSHOPS: (225) 275-8438 or (225) 921-6807, email firstname.lastname@example.org. 7-10 p.m. Wednesdays, “cued ballroom” dance club with classes and workshops, $25 per couple per month; 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Thursdays, workshop/class at a BREC facility, free.
BATON ROUGE CALEDONIAN PIPES & DRUMS: Dedicated to preserving Scottish culture and tradition. http://www.csbr.org. Beginning and advanced bagpipe and drumming lessons at no charge each Thursday evening at First Presbyterian Church of Baton Rouge. Stanley Masinter, (225) 927-0252. For Scottish country dancing, call Lyndon Williams at (225) 272-2541.
BEGINNER AND INTERMEDIATE GROUP FIDDLE LESSONS: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Tom’s Fiddle & Bow, 204 Fuselier St., Arnaudville. Taught alternately by Henry Hample and Brazos Huval. Cost is $15 per class. (337) 322-5402 or email email@example.com.
CENTRE FOR THE ARTS: 1104 W. Main St., New Roads. Classes include guitar, creative writing, pottery, tap, piano violin, voice, drums, painting and drawing. In addition, children can also take tumbling, choir, ballet and theater. (225) 638-1094 or http://www.CentrefortheArts.org.
- Baker Branch Library, 3501 Groom Road, (225) 778-5950. Wednesday, July 13, 4:30 p.m., Around the World Postcards. Creating postcards using pictures of places from all over the world. For children ages 6-10. Registration required.
- Greenwell Springs Regional Branch Library, 11300 Greenwell Springs Road. (225) 274-4450. Monday, July 11, 11 a.m. Bead it, designing a bracelet or necklace. For children ages 6 and up. Registration required
- Jones Creek Regional Branch Library, 6222 Jones Creek Road, (225) 756-1170. Saturday, July 9, 2:30 p.m., Princess Party. Special for girls ages 3 and up. Event includes games and crafts. Registration required. Tuesday, July 12, 2 p.m., hula hooping and basketball competition. Thursday, July 14, 2:30-5:30 p.m., Highland Road Observatory. Highland Road Observatory personnel present physical science experiments for children and their families. For children ages 6 and up. Registration required.
- Main Library Branch, 7711 Goodwood Blvd., (225) 231-3770. Friday, July 8, 11 a.m., Brownbag Clubhouse Movies. Bring brown-bag lunch to movies. Collections of short animated classic tales. For children ages 4-11. Registration required. Monday, July 11, 2:30 p.m., Mayan Folktales Storycraft. Folktales of Mayan culture, including making colorful Mayan headdress to wear. For children ages 4-8. Registration required. Wednesday, July 13, 10:30 a.m., Glimpses of Greece. Slideshow of sights and sounds of Greece. For children ages 6-11. Registration required.
- Pride-Chaneyville Branch Library, 13600 Pride-Port Hudson Road, (225) 658-1560. Friday, July 8, 10:30 a.m., Australian Dot Painting. Picture painting using Australian dot art techniques. For children ages 7-11. Registration required. Saturday, July 9, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Creating a Louisiana Crawfish Scene. Children will create a Louisiana crawfish scene. For children ages 2-8. Registration required.
- River Center Branch Library, 120 St. Louis St., (225) 389-4959. Saturday, July 9, 10:30 a.m., Raven: A Trickster Tale from the Pacific Northwest. Story reading and totem pole craft making. For children ages 4-7. Registration required. Wednesday, July 13, 10 a.m., It’s the Loch Ness Monster. Reading and making Loch Ness monster dioramas. For children ages 3-5. Registration required.
- Zachary Branch Library, 1900 Church St., (225) 658-1870. Wednesday, July 13, 2 p.m., Book Bunch: “The Amazing Mexican Secret.” Books Bunch ends its summer travel series with book discussion of The Amazing Mexican Secret. For children ages 7-11. Registration required.
EVOLUTIONS STUDIO: 10453 Airline Highway at Coursey Boulevard. (225) 772-6912 (Spanish) or (225) 938-6331 (English). Salsa classes for beginners and advanced. Cost is $7 per class. Call the number(s) above for details.
THE FRONT ROOM: 1303 Avenue A, Scott. Photography for Kids: through Aug. 22, 6-7 p.m.; Guitar for Kids, through Aug. 23, 5-5:45 p.m.; Jam Band Lab, through Aug. 23, 6-7:30 p.m.; Children’s Fiddle, through Aug. 25, 5-5:45 p.m. (337) 258-2333.
ISRAELI FOLK DANCE CLASSES: B’nai Israel Synagogue, 3354 Kleinert Ave. New members of all ages and experience levels always welcome. Next session is 7 p.m. July 31. For details, call David Kirshner, (225) 756-5291, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
LOUISIANA ART AND ARTISTS’ GUILD: 2490 Silverest Ave. Larry Downs, all levels acrylic classes, every Thursday, 6-8 p.m., $75/month, $60 for LAAG members; Life Drawing Sessions, every Wednesday 6-9 p.m., $10 per night/$30 per month. (225) 926-4657 or http://www.laag-site.org. The Workshop Show is on display at the Independence Park Theatre Gallery until July 14.
LOUISIANE VINTAGE DANCERS: 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Church of the Way, 250 Foster Drive. For those interested in learning about 19th century dances, including reels, waltzes, quadrilles and the polka. Marguerite Gravois, (225) 761-5021.
MAGNOLIA MOUND PLANTATION: 2161 Nicholson Drive. (225) 343-4955. Open hearth cooking class series in conjunction with the West Baton Rouge Museum; last class is Nov. 2. Free; supplies provided. Advance registration is required.
MUGGIVAN SCHOOL OF IRISH DANCE: Now accepting new students in the Baton Rouge area. Lessons will include Irish step solo, traditional Ceili, beginners and up (all ages, all levels). For class times and dates, call (225) 926-5150 or (225) 927-9027.
PERFORMING ARTS ACADEMY FOR THE HOME-SCHOOLED: (337) 896-1874 or email@example.com. Classes in acting, music, ballet and modern dance and conditioning for students age 7 to adult, and creative movement for children age 3-6.
POLE FITNESS STUDIO: 440 N. Foster Drive, third floor. Visit the website at http://www.mindfulnessandmotion.com, or call (225) 272-4447, for information on classes.
RADIO CLASS: The Baton Rouge Amateur Radio Club will offer entry-level classes culminating in a technician-class radio operator license exam. The classes begin July 7 and continue for 10 weeks from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Greenwell Springs Branch Library. There is no cost for the classes. For details, contact Buddy Brown at (225) 573-2111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
RED SHOES: 2303 Government St., Baton Rouge. Pre-register for all events by calling (225) 338-1170 or go to http://www.theredshoes.org for details of this week’s offerings.