- LE FESTIVAL DE LA VIANDE BOUCANÉE DE LA LOUISIANE: Ville Platte. This festival showcases local smoked meats including sausage, tasso, pounce bourée, deer, pig, rabbit and fish. Music runs both days, alogn with arts and crafts booths. www.lasmokedmeatfestival.com
- LOUISIANA PEACH FESTIVAL: Civic Center, Ruston. Festival goers can indulge in Ruston’s famous peach ice cream, peach cobbler and various other peach delicacies. Peach lovers also have opportunities to participate in the festival’s peach-eating contest or the peach cookery contest. Also, live music entertainment, an extensive arts-and-crafts market, a parade, an antique car show, fishing tournaments and more.
- BEAUREGARD WATERMELON FESTIVAL: Beauregard Parish Fairgrounds, DeRidder. Live entertainment, food, pageants, children’s activities and watermelons are the hallmarks of this west Louisiana festival. www.beauregardwatermelonfestival.com
- CRABFEST LACOMBE: John Davis Park, Lacombe. This “under the oaks” event has music, arts and crafts and lots of food, including the venerable crustacean. www.crabfestlacombe.com
TUESDAY-SATURDAY, JULY 4
- ERATH 4TH OF JULY CELEBRATION: downtown Erath. Carnival, live music, parade, vendors, dance contest, 5K run and 1 mile walk, rides, and more. Giant fireworks display over the skies of Erath at 9 p.m. on the Fourth of July.
THURSDAY-SUNDAY, JULY 5
- 2015 ESSENCE FESTIVAL: Mercedes-Benz Superdome and Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans. Music and cultural festival offering concerts, seminars, special offers and hand-crafted art/crafts. www.essence.com/festival
Compiled by Red staff