A physical activity circuit course will be one of the highlights at this year’s Wellness Day for Women from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.. Saturday at Pennington Biomedical Research Center.
The circuit course will offer eight activity stations, with exercise options for work and home.
“I think it’s something you can do in your office,” said Catherine Champagne, professor and chief of dietary assessment and nutrition counseling at Pennington, of the exercises planned.
“I think what presents a challenge for people is how can they be more active at work,” she said.
“If we can give them some ideas, it doesn’t seem such an onerous task,” Champagne said.
As it has in the past, the free Wellness Day for Women will offer a number of health screenings, from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.:
- Blood glucose and blood cholesterol.
- Colorectal screening kits.
- Risk assessments for heart attack and stroke.
- Waist circumference.
- Blood pressure.
- Skin screening.
- Body fat.
- Body mass index.
Marc Hamilton, a professor and researcher of inactivity physiology at Pennington, will give the general address on “Physical Activity — Modifications for Home and Work,” from 9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Visitors will also be able to choose from a number of breakout sessions on the following health topics:
- “Women: Heart Disease and Risk Factor Modification,” by Dr. Tara Jarreau.
- “Memory Issues: Stress Overload? Early Signs of Dementia?” by Robert Brouillette, of the Institute for Dementia Research and Prevention at Pennington.
- “Joint Pain: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and Other Causes,” by Dr. Bobby Dupré.
- “Changes in Bodily Functions: Bowel Issues,” by Dr. Kelly Finan.
- “Updates on Breast Health,” by Dr. John Lyons.
For the closing program of the event, from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., Pennington is bringing back a popular session from one of its early Wellness Days, Champagne said.
Four dietitians will present “simple and healthy meal planning for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks,” she said.
“There was standing room only” the first year the meal planning ideas were offered, Champagne said.
The 13th annual Irene W. Pennington Wellness Day for Women will be held in the C. B. Pennington Jr. conference center at the back of the Pennington campus at 6400 Perkins Road.
More information about the event, underwritten by Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana, can be found at http://www.pbrc.edu/womens-well ness.