- CONTEST WINNERS ART SHOW: 9:30 a.m., Highlands Bank Lobby, 1542 Charter St., Jackson. View the winning paintings of the Jackson Historic Commission 2014 Art Contest. Artists will be presented with awards. email@example.com
- POW/MIA DAY CEREMONY: 6 p.m., Bouligny Plaza, 102 W. Main St., New Iberia. Honoring the sacrifice made by prisoners of war and soldiers who remain missing in action with flag ceremony and patriotic music. (337) 344-9397
- THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK: 7 p.m., Eunice Players’ Theatre, 121 S. Second St., Eunice. $10. (337) 546-0163 or (337) 457-2156
- HAMMOND FARMERS MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, #2 W. Thomas St., Hammond. Fresh produce, arts and crafts. (985) 277-5681 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- JEANERETTE FARMERS MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, Jeanerette City Park. Tarleton Street, Jeanerette. Locally-grown foods and handmade items. (337) 276-4293 or jeanerettechamber.org
- LAFOURCHE CENTRAL MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, Lafourche Central Market Pavilion, 4484 La. 1, Raceland. Local farmers, fishermen, artisans and more. Free. (985) 438-1231
- GUIDED CANOE TOUR: 9 a.m.-11 a.m., Chicot State Park, La. 3042, Ville Platte. The site naturalist will take participants through the cypress-tupelo lake to learn more about the plants and animals that can be found in it. Canoeing experience is recommended. Registration required. $2. (888) 677-6100
- CAJUN FRENCH MUSIC FESTIVAL: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Cyr Gates Community Center, 300 Parkview Drive, New Iberia. Features Cajun bands, dancing, food, refreshments, raffle and door prizes. (337) 369-7538 or CajunFrenchMusic.org/Chapter_NewIberia.
- THE ART OF SAND PAINTING: 10 a.m., Ascension Parish Library Dutchtown Branch, 13278 La. 73, Geismar. The program allows tweens to create their own designs following the Navajo traditional art. Free, but registration is required. (225) 637-8699
- FALL INTO SCIENCE: 1 p.m.-5 p.m., LIGO Science Education Center, 19100 LIGO Lane, Livingston. Learn about electromagnetism with hands-on activities. Free. (225) 686-3173 or ligo-la.caltech.edu/SEC
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
- FLEUR DE LEAP SCHOOLING HORSE TRIALS: all day, 13349 Verger Road, Folsom. sedariders.org
SATURDAY AND TUESDAY
- TECHE AREA FARMERS MARKET: 7 a.m.-11 a.m. Saturday, and 2:30 p.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday, Bouligny Plaza, 102 W. Main St., New Iberia. Locally grown produce and homemade products. (337) 369-2330
- GLC FARMERS MARKET: 2 p.m.-6 p.m., GLC Meat Market, 211 N. Main St., Loreauville. Locally grown produce and homemade products. (337) 577-9160
- CIVIL WAR CANONNIERS DISCUSSION: 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m., Jeanerette Museum, 500 E. Main St. Author Michael Marshall will discuss his book “Gallant Creoles: A History of the Donaldsonville Canonniers.” Free. (337) 276-4408 or JeaneretteMuseum.com
- BESTLIFE IBERIA FLASH MARKET: 4 p.m.-6 p.m., 1505 S. Hopkins St., or in inclement weather, 211 W. St. Peter St., New Iberia. (337) 367-0834
- RECEPTION FOR ‘HANDCRAFTED TREASURES FROM THE LOUISIANA CRAFTS GUILD’: 6 p.m.-8 p.m., Louisiana State Museum-Patterson, 118 Cotten Road, Patterson. Free.
- DECO MESH WREATH DESIGNING: 6:30 p.m., Ascension Parish Library Dutchtown Branch, 13278 La. 73, Geismar. All participants will be able to design a Deco wreath to take home. Registration required and is limited to adults. (225) 673-8699
- MULTILINGUAL OPEN MIC: 7 p.m.-9 p.m., The Festival of Words Cultural Arts Collective, 268 Church St., Grand Coteau. Featuring poems, songs and stories performed in different languages. Free. (337) 254-9695 or email@example.com
- SWEENEY TODD - THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET: 7:30 p.m., Columbia Theatre for the Performing Arts, 220 E. Thomas St., Hammond. Southeastern Louisiana University’s Opera/Music Theatre Workshop production of the Broadway musical. $21, adults; $16, seniors, Southeastern faculty/staff and non-Southeastern students; and $8, children 12 and younger. Southeastern students are admitted free of charge with their ID. firstname.lastname@example.org
- BACKWOODS GALLERY: 11931 Ferdinand St., St. Francisville. Feliciana Branch of the Louisiana Art and Artists’ Guild exhibit will run until Dec. 31 and features a wide variety of subject matter, style and sizes. (225) 683-8673
- LOUISIANA STATE MUSEUM-PATTERSON: 118 Cotten Road, Patterson. Exhibit of a variety of crafts by 16 members of the Louisiana Crafts Guild.
THE Oak Street Gallery: 111 N. Oak St., Hammond. “Gloria Ross – A Retrospective.” Exhibition celebrating the 90th birthday of artist Gloria Ross. Work will be on display until Tuesday, Sept. 30.
Shadows on the Teche: 317 W. Main St., New Iberia. “Photography & Beyond,” Exhibit of Roxy Blanton and Margaret Melancon’s work. “Pete deGravelles Sugar Tour,” tours focusing on the historic sugar industry during the week of the Louisiana Sugar Cane Festival. ShadowsontheTeche.org
Compiled by Leslie D. Rose