- MUSIC AND MARKET: 5:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m., Le Vieux Village, 828 E. Landry St., Opelousas. Vendors, live music, food and drinks. Performance by Terry and the Zydeco Bad Boyz beginning at 6 p.m. Bring lawn chairs. No ice chests. (337) 948-6263.
- RHYTHMS ON THE RIVER: 6:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Front Street between Everett and Freret streets, Morgan City. Performance by Side Show Band. Food and drinks will be available for sale. No ice chests. Free. (985) 384-9291.
- ‘THE SHADOWBOXMYTH’: 7:30 p.m., Acadiana Center for the Arts, 101 W. Vermilion St., Lafayette. A contemporary performance art installation by Darolyn Robertston. (337) 233-7060.
- ST. MARY’S GOT TALENT TOP 25 PERFORMANCE: 7:30 p.m., Teche Theatre for the Performing Arts, 501 Main St., Franklin. Competition for the top prize and the title of “St. Mary’s Top Talent.” $10. (337) 828-2787.
- SKYLINERS BIG BAND: 7:30 p.m., Petroleum Club, 111 Heymann Blvd., Lafayette. Performance by the 20-piece jazz orchestra. $15. (337) 234-2133.
- TREASURES OF POINTE COUPEE: Julien Poydras Museum and Arts Center, 500 W. Main St., New Roads. Community art exhibit featuring 90 local and regional artists. At least 50 pieces will be available for sale during the exhibit. Event includes an opening reception and silent auction 6 p.m. Friday, Petite Gallerie (postcard sized submissions), workshops for adults and children, a treasure hunt, arts market. Conversations with an Artist at 10 a.m. Saturday with Paula Baker and 2 p.m. Saturday with Madeline Breidenbach. Exhibit is free; call for workshop fees. (225) 936-6509 or (225) 718-5083.
FRIDAY-SUNDAY AND THURSDAY
- ‘WAIT UNTIL DARK’: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Thursday; 3 p.m. Sunday, Essanee Theater, 126 Iberia St., New Iberia. Performance by the Iberia Performing Arts League. $10. (225) 364-6114 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CITYWIDE YARD SALE: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., various locations throughut Ponchatoula. Maps will be available beginning at 6:30-noon at the Chamber Information Booth (In Front Of Country Market), Paul’s Cafe, Berrytown Corner Cafe, Nest Interiors, C.J. Antiques And Trail’s End Antiques. (985) 386-2536 or ponchatoulachamber.com
- TICKFAW RIVER REDNECK REGATTA: 10 a.m., homemade boat show; 1 p.m., boat races, from public boat launch on La 22 (near Boopalu’s), Springfield. A pirate costume contest starts at 3 p.m. Live music. Presented by the Livingston Parish News and Livingston CVB. (225) 907-7270
BACKYARD ON THE BAYOU: 11 A.M.-2 P.M., SHADOWS-ON-THE-TECHE, 317 E. MAIN ST., NEW IBERIA. GAMES, FAN CRAFT, SHAVED ICE, AND A PICNIC. $5; FREE, CHILDREN AGES 2 AND YOUNGER. (337) 369-6446.
- AUTHOR EVENT: 2 p.m., Barnes & Noble Booksellers, 5705 Johnston St., Lafayette. Ronlyn Domingue will discuss and sign copies of her novel, “The Chronicle of Secret Riven.” Free. (337) 989-4142.
SATURDAY AND TUESDAY
- TECHE AREA FARMERS MARKET: 7 a.m.-11 a.m., Saturday, and 2:30 p.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday, Bouligny Plaza, 102 W. Main St., New Iberia. Locally grown produce and homemade products. (337) 369-2330.
- TRI NEW ROADS: 7:30 a.m., New Roads. 400 meter open water swim, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run. (225) 448-2878.
- IBERIA PARISH 4-H HORSE SHOW: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., SugArena, Acadiana Fairgrounds, 713 Northwest Bypass, New Iberia. Free. (337) 365-7539.
- SOUTHERN GARDEN FESTIVAL EVENT GOSPEL MUSIC IN THE GARDEN: 2 p.m.-6 p.m., Schoeffler residence, 3502 Simco St., Lafayette. Members of the Acadiana Ecumenical will perform gospel music in the garden. Proceeds benefit Family Promise of Acadiana. Previously issued weekend passes for the Southern Garden Festival will be honored. $5. (337) 233-3447.
- EINSTEIN & ADELAIDE PUPPET SHOW: 2 p.m., Albany-Springfield Branch Library, 26941 La. 43, Hammond. This puppet show recommended for ages 6-10 is based on a true story about Adelaide, a girl who visits her neighbor Albert Einstein looking for help with her math homework. After the show, children will do a science experiment. Free. (225) 567-1441 or mylpl.info
- MAKE A SCARF MARIONETTE: 2 p.m., Albany-Springfield Branch Library, 26941 La. 43, Hammond. Make a simple marionette and learn how to bring a puppet to life at this workshop for ages 9 and older. Space is limited, so registration is required. Free. (225) 567-1441 or mylpl.info
- GLC FARMERS MARKET: 2 p.m.-6 p.m., GLC Meat Market, 211 N. Main St., Loreauville. Local farmers selling produce, plants, honey and more. (337) 577-9160.
- THE LAND OF OZ: 2 p.m., Albany-Springfield Branch, Livingston Parish Library, 26941 La. Hwy. 43, Hammond. Youth ages 12-18 will enjoy a cinema-style viewing of a movie featuring everyone’s favorite wizard. Door prizes will be awarded. Space is limited, so registration is required. Free. (225) 567-1441 or mylpl.info
OPENING RECEPTION: 6 P.M.-8 P.M., PAUL AND LULU HILLIARD UNIVERSITY ART MUSEUM, UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT LAFAYETTE. CELEBRATION OF THE OPENING OF THE 2014 SUMMER EXHIBITIONS “CONTEMPORARY MASTERS: WORKS ON PAPER,” “EARTH AND ELEMENT: THE ART OF GEORGE DUNBAR” AND “THE WALTER ANDERSON FAMILY LEGACY: SHEARWATER POTTERY.” (337) 482-2278
- PAUL AND LULU HILLIARD UNIVERSITY ART MUSEUM: University of Louisiana at Lafayette. “Contemporary Masters: Works on Paper,” through Aug. 16; “Earth and Element: the Art of George Dunbar,” Saturday-Aug. 30. Gallery hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m.-noon Friday, and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. (337) 482-2278
Compiled by Emily Beck Cogburn