- DANCE WORKSHOP: 4 p.m., intermediate and advanced levels, The Dancers’ Workshop, 10745 Linkwood Court. With choreographer Charlotte Boye-Christensen. $20. (225) 766-8379
- MEET AND GREET: 8 p.m., Radisson Hotel, 2445 S. Acadian Thruway. Opening event for Steppin’ in the Bayou dance event. $10. steppininthebayou.com
- “THE SHAPE OF THINGS”: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Thursday, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Theatre Baton Rouge Studio Theatre, 7155 Florida Blvd. Play by Neil LaBute as part of the Turner-Fischer City Series. For mature audiences. $20, general public; $14, students. (225) 924-6496 or theatrebr.org
- BATON ROUGE ARTS MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, Fifth Street between Main and Laurel streets, downtown. Held in conjunction with the Red Stick Farmers Market (this week’s theme is “Everything Eggplant”) and the Main Street Market. More than 40 artists represented; free children’s art activities 9 a.m.-noon. (225) 344-8558
- STAINED GLASS SUN CATCHERS: 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Family-friendly lesson in the basic skills of stained glass. $20.
- THE BATTLE OF BATON ROUGE: 10 a.m.-11 a.m., Magnolia Cemetery, 422 N. 19th St. 31st annual commemorative ceremony. Free.
- DANCE WORKSHOPS: 10 a.m.-4 p.m., BREC’s Independence Park. Lessons in swing, stepping or line dancing. Part of the Steppin’ in the Bayou weekend. $10 per workshop. steppininthebayou.com
- SUMMER CHESS NOVICE TOURNAMENT: 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m., Main EBR Library, 7711 Goodwood Blvd. For children ages 9-13. (225) 231-3750
- VIEWING & DOING ART: 10:30 a.m.-noon, Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 River Road S. Children ages 6-12 can learn gyotaku, the traditional Japanese art of relief printing, to make an artistic image of a fish. (225) 344-5272 or lasm.org
- DANCE WORKSHOP: 10:30 a.m., intermediate and advanced levels, The Dancers’ Workshop, 10745 Linkwood Court. With choreographer Charlotte Boye-Christensen. $20. (225) 766-8379
- LAMBORGHINI YOUTH ACADEMY: 11:30 a.m., First Baptist Church, 529 Convention St. Auto training, Lamborghini rides, Rockstar cart racing. Free. For ages 10-20. LamborghiniLouisiana.com
- BACK TO SCHOOL GIVEAWAY: 3 p.m.-5 p.m., BREC’s Progress Park, 802 N. 30th Street. School supplies, music, food and inflatables. Part of the Brandon Bass Reach Back Week. Free.
- CRUISE IN FOR CASA: 4 p.m.-7 p.m., Broadway Place, 7755 Magnolia Bridge Road at La. 16, Denham Springs. The benefit for Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) celebrates the Ford Mustang’s 50th anniversary with a car show, 1950s pin up contest, and more. Free.
- STEPPIN’ IN THE BAYOU: 8 p.m., Ben Johnson Annex Building, 1339 North Blvd. Dance contests, food, entertainment. $25. steppininthebayou.com
- LOUISIANA BAYOU SPRINTERS (SPRINT CARS): 8 p.m., Baton Rouge Raceway, 17700 Plank Road. Stock car racing on dirt. $17, adults; $5, children 7-12; free, children 6 and younger. (225) 774-4524 or batonrougeraceway.com
- GUN & KNIFE SHOW: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, Lamar Dixon Expo Center, 9039 St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Presented by Classic Arms Productions. $8, adults; $2, children 6-11; under 18 admitted with parent only. (985) 624-8577 or capgunshows.com
- KIDSTYLE TOUR AND FASHION CAMP: 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Tanger Outlets, Gonzales. Appearance, mini-concert, Q&A and autograph session with Disney star Bridgit Mendler at 3 p.m.; glam bar; photo booth; makeovers; classes from BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo and Center Stage Performing Arts Academy; and opening performance from “The Voice” contestant Ray Boudreaux at noon. tangeroutlet.com/gonzales
- FIRST FREE SUNDAY-END OF SUMMER BASH: 9 a.m.-5 p.m., USS KIDD Veterans Memorial & Museum, 305 S. River Road. Make a friendship bracelet for National Friendship Day, self-guided tours, indoor and outdoor games, arts and crafts, refreshments, movies. Free.
- OPENING RECEPTION FOR “FOUR THE ARTS”: 2 p.m.-4 p.m., Beauregard Gallery, 715 Europe St. (225) 383-1932
- AUDITIONS FOR “LA BAKAIR”: 2 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, and 7 p.m.-9 p.m. Monday, EBR Main Library, 7711 Goodwood Blvd. A Louisiana Voices of Women theatre company production. (225) 362-2847
- RED STICK FARMERS MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, 8470 Goodwood Blvd. (parking lot of Unitarian Church).
- XBOX FUN: 2 p.m., Bluebonnet Regional Branch Library, 9200 Bluebonnet Blvd. Gaming program for kids. (225) 763-2250
- AUDITIONS FOR “IN THE HEIGHTS”: 6 p.m., Hartley/Vey Workshop Theatre, Manship Theatre, 100 Lafayette St. A New Venture Theatre musical production. (225) 588-7576 or email@example.com.
- DABBLE WITH SCRABBLE: 6:30 p.m., Jones Creek Regional Branch Library, 6222 Jones Creek Road. (225) 756-1150
- RED STICK MOBILE FARMERS MARKET: 9 a.m.-11 a.m., Scotlandville Branch Library, 7373 Scenic Highway; and 12:30 p.m-2 p.m., Star Hill Church, 1400 N. Foster Drive. Weather permitting.
- TORN PAPER ART: 4 p.m., Carver Branch Library, 720 Terrace St. For children ages 5-8. (225) 389-7450
- RED STICK FARMERS MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, 6400 Perkins Road (behind Pennington Biomedical Research Center).
- RED STICK MOBILE FARMERS MARKET: 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m., Delmont Service Center, 3535 Riley St.; and noon-2 p.m., Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 E. Washington St. Weather permitting.
- THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL: 7:30 p.m., Hartley/Vey Studio Theatre, Manship Theatre, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. A New Venture Theatre production. Opening night. $20. (225) 344-0334 or newventuretheatre.com
- BEAUREGARD GALLERY: 715 Europe St., (225) 383-1932. “Four the Arts,” four-artist exhibit by Chris Bajon Jones, Joette LeBlanc, Kathy Tedaldi and Judy Duplantis Vernon, through Aug. 31.
- BREC SPLASH PADS: 8 a.m.-8 p.m., City-Brooks, Forest and Greenwood Community Parks. Open through October.
- CASAS FOR CASA PLAYHOUSE RAFFLE: Visit the CASA playhouse exhibit at the lower level court of the Mall of Louisiana. Raffle tickets will be for sale for $5 each through Aug. 17. Raising Cane’s will offer a free drink coupon for every raffle ticket purchased. casabr.org
- THE ENCHANTED MANSION, A DOLL MUSEUM: 190 Lee Drive. Barbies exhibit, through Saturday, Aug. 30. $4.50, adults; $3.50, seniors and $2, children. Under age 2 admitted free. (225) 769-0005, firstname.lastname@example.org or enchantedmansion.org
livingston parish children’s chorus: New Convenant Church, Denham Springs. Fall semester begins Aug. 12. Apprentice choir for children in grades K-3 meets 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and Chorus for grades 3-10 meets 6 p.m. Tuesday. lpccsing.org or (225) 247-5555
- LSU MUSEUM OF ART: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. “LeRoy Neiman: Action!,” exhibit of work by the American artist and sports illustrator, through Jan. 17, 2015. “Margaret Stones’ Flora of Louisiana: The Baton Rouge Connection,” on display through Sunday. “Nari Ward: Rooted Communities,” on display through Aug. 10. lsumoa.org
- LOUISIANA ART & SCIENCE MUSEUM: 100 River Road S. Hours are 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. “American Brilliant Cut Glass: A Silver Lining” and “Herman Mhire - Emilio Garcia: The Art and Science of Shells,” through Sept. 24. $7.25 for adults; $6.25 for children ages 2-12 and seniors age 65 and older; $5 for groups of 15 or more. College students with ID and museum members are admitted free. (225) 344-5272 or lasm.org
- LOUISIANA’S OLD STATE CAPITOL: 100 North Blvd. “Light Up Louisiana” presented by the Louisiana Photographic Society. Exhibit continues until Sept. 20. (225) 342-0500
- MANSHIP THEATRE GALLERY: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Belin “Off the Wall” exhibit, through Aug. 24.
- PET ADOPTIONS: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Companion Animal Alliance, 2680 Progress Road. Prices include spay/neuter, microchip and all vaccinations. The society also offers adoptions 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Acadian Village Petco. For more information call (225) 774-7701.
- CAT ADOPTIONS: noon-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday, Cat Haven Adoption Center, 11130 N. Harrell’s Ferry Road. The society also holds adoption events 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at the PetSmart in Siegen Marketplace and the Acadian Village Petco. (225) 636-2680
- PET ADOPTIONS: 11:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. Saturday and 12:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, PetSmart, 8660 Airline Highway. Kittens, cats, puppies and dogs available from the northside Humane Society. (225) 964-6992
- PET ADOPTIONS: 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, The Friends of the Animals Adoption House, 8476 Highland Road. The organization also offers adoptions noon-3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Orvis in Perkins Rowe. friendsoftheanimalsbr.org
- WEST BATON ROUGE MUSEUM: 845 N. Jefferson, Port Allen. Offering free admission to all active duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day. “100 Years after the War to End All Wars,” exhibit marking the centennial anniversary of the start of World War I, through Oct. 26. “Carving Their Niche: The Bowie Family in Louisiana,” through Aug. 31. (225) 336-2422, ext. 15
Compiled by Red staff