Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., willoffer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. For more information, call (225) 924-0123.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness will hold the following events this week:
- A Connection Recovery Support Group for those who lives are affected by mental illness will meet at 10 a.m. Monday at Denham Springs/Walker Branch Library, 8101 U.S. Highway 90, Denham Springs.
- A Family to Family Support Group for family members and caregivers of people with a mental illness will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church, 3240 Dalrymple Drive.
- A Connection Recovery Support Group for those who lives are affected by mental illness will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church.
For more information, call (225) 291-6262.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events this week:
- “YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors” will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and at 5:15 p.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Ascension Parish Support Group will meet at noon Wednesday at First United Methodist Church, 224 W. Constitution St., Gonzales.
- Shine-a-Light on Lung Cancer Vigil will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the office.
- Zumba Gold will meet at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at the BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Blood Cancers Support Group will meet at noon Friday at the office.
For more information, call (225) 927-2273.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events this week:
- Back to Health, a free spine surgery education class, will be from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave., Conference Room 1. Call (225) 763-4298 to register.
- Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., and at the same time Thursday at the Bluebonnet location. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
- Breastfeeding Basics will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 2. Fee is $30 per couple. To register, visit http://www.brgeneral.org.
The following HIV services will be offered this week:
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 East Washington St. Syphilis testing will be conducted from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday. Metro Health will also offer testing from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to noon Friday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave.; and 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earl K. Long Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue. For more information, call (225) 338-9333.
- Free, confidential HIV testing and counseling will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the office. For more information, call (225) 927-9810 or visit http://www.fsgbr.org.
Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue), will hold the following events:
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- Woman’s Ideal Protein Seminar will be from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Tuesday at Woman’s Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway. Call (225) 924-8313.
- “Special Delivery” will be from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $35 per couple.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “After Baby Comes: Baby Care and Parent Care” will be from 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2, at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $35 per couple.
For more information or to register, call (225) 924-8444 or visit http://www.womans.org.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave. For more information, call (225) 924-1431.
The Community Grief Support Group, in partnership with several other local agencies, will meet at noon Tuesday at Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave. The group is open to anyone coping with the loss of a loved one. Call (225) 927-2273.
St. Francis Villa Assisted Living, 10411 Jefferson Highway, River Ridge, will host “Thanks for Caregivers!” at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The free event will provide encouragement and resources for anyone caring for a loved one. Call (504) 738-1060.
Lane Regional Medical Center, 6300 Main St., Zachary, will hold the following events this week:
- “Baby Care Basics” will be at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the center’s Staff Development Classroom. Class size is limited, and registration is required. Call (225) 654-5263.
- “Ask the Doctor,” a lunch and learn session, will be from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday at the center’s Staff Development Classroom. Dr. Thomas Kang of Lane Surgery Group will speak on how a healthy diet can help prevent the necessity of surgery. Class size is limited, and registration is required. Call (225) 654-5263.
Depression and Bi-Polar Support Alliance will meet from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at La Madeline Restaurant, 7915 Jefferson Highway. Meetings are free and open to people diagnosed with any depressive or bi-polar disorder. Family and friends are welcome. For more information, call (225) 275-2778.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes:
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at the office. Another class will be offered Saturday. Cost is $90.
- “Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday at the office. Cost is $110.
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED and Bloodborne Pathogens” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 4, at the office. Cost is $110.
Call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Resthaven Swan Room, 11817 Jefferson Highway.
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16 (Pete’s Highway), Denham Springs.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
Co-Dependency Anonymous will have a 12-step meeting — including step 11 — at 7 p.m. Wednesday at University United Methodist Church, 3350 Dalrymple Drive, Room 204 of the Trice Building. For more information, call (225) 922-9543, or visit http://www.coda.org for literature.
Peoples Health will hold a free Medicare Information Enrollment Seminar at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Ochsner Medical Center-Baton Rouge, 9001 Summa Ave., fourth-floor Conference Room. For reservations, call (800) 398-5012.
Mary Bird Perkins
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center will hold the following free events this week:
- Breast cancer screening will be from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday at Independence Multicare Clinic, 281 West 4th St., Independence.
- Breast cancer screening will be from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Thursday at Kmart, 2555 Highway 190, Mandeville.
For more information or an appointment, call (225) 215-1234.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following events:
- A Lunch-N-Learn Session: “Advance Care Planning and the LaPOST Document” will be from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at the office. The program and lunch are free, but registration is required and seating is limited. Register by calling (225) 334-7494 by Monday.
- A Lunch-N-Learn Session: “Holidays: Coping and Caregiving” will be from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday at St. Elizabeth Hospital, Sister Linda Conference Room, 1125 West Highway 30, Gonzales. The program and lunch are free, but registration is required and seating is limited. Register by calling (225) 621-2906 by Monday.
Capital Area Court Appointed Special Advocates Association, 848 Louisiana Ave., will hold informational sessions for those interested in becoming CASA advocates at noon Thursday and at 10 a.m. Saturday. Court Appointed Special Advocates help neglected and abused children in the foster care system find a safe and permanent home.
Call (225) 379-8598.
SouthernCare Inc., 17316 Airline Highway, Suite P, Prairieville, will hold a support group on “How Grief Changes Your Life” at 6 p.m. Thursday at the office. Drinks and snacks will be at 5:30 p.m. For more information, call (225) 673-9949.
Lewy Physical Therapy, 8448 Siegen Lane, will hold a free “Knock Out Neck Pain” seminar at 7 p.m. Thursday at the office. Dr. C. Chambliss Harrod of the Bone & Joint Clinic will speak. RSVP at (225) 241-8183.
The Mary Bird Perkins-Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center will hold CancerFit, a comprehensive wellness program designed to help keep cancer patients active and mentally fit.
Each session is free and includes an hour of individualized yoga and guided meditation. The next session will be from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Friday at Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, 4950 Essen Lane. To register or for more information, call (225) 938-9629.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday.
Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening. Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
The HIV/AIDS Alliance for Region Two Inc.’s 2nd annual Picture Perfect, an AIDS awareness cocktail-style fundraiser, will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday at The Office, 421 Third St. There will be cocktails and Restaurant IPO tapas, viewing of poster art designed by Baton Rouge Community College graphic art students and a fashion show. Tickets are $40. Visit online at http://www.haartinc.org.
The Baton Rouge Scleroderma Support Group Christmas Open House will be from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2, at the Settlement Shopping Center, Suite B2, Jefferson Highway, across from Bocage. Refreshments will be served.
The Grief Recovery Center, 4919 Jamestown Ave., Suite 101, will offer individual counseling sessions for adults, children and families. The center accepts private insurance, Medicare, Medicaid and sliding scale fee for qualified uninsured clients. For more information, call (225) 924-6621.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, will offer the following opportunity and event:
- The hospice is seeking volunteers for patient/caregiver support, health fairs and office assistance. Call (225) 767-4673.
- The 8th annual Trees of Light Celebration will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2, at the Old State Capitol, 100 North Blvd. Tenor the Rev. Greg Daigle and The Jazz Band will entertain. There will be a silent auction and a raffle, and catering by Heirloom Cuisine. Tickets are $40 each and are available at http://www.hospicebr.org or (225) 767-4673.
Limb Up will have its Christmas meeting at 1 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 2, at DeAngelo’s, 7970 Jefferson Highway. Limb Up is a nonprofit support group for people who are amputees or facing amputation. For more information, call (225) 270-3134.
Hospice Associates, 11745 Bricksome Ave., Suite A-1, is seeking direct-care volunteers for patient/caregiver support and companionship. Veteran volunteers are also needed for the We Honor Veterans Program to share their life journey with veteran patients and their families. For details, call (225) 218-1300.
Absolute Care Providers will serve as a drop-off site for the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots program. New, unwrapped toys are being collected during November and December.
The toys will then be distributed as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community. Drop-off sites are 4521 Jamestown Ave., Suite 10, Baton Rouge, and 1206 JW Davis Drive, Suite 106, Hammond. For more information, call (225) 930-0213.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings. Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.