If you have information on classes, seminars and workshops, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax it to (225) 388-0351. Deadline is at noon Monday. If your group is no longer listed here, you need to send an updated announcement of your classes and contact information.
ACADIANA CENTER FOR THE ARTS: 101 W. Vermilion St., Lafayette. Passport to the Arts, weeklong art camp, Tuesday-Friday, July 5-8; CitySmarts Art and Science Camp, July 11-15, Individual Sports; and July 25-29, Backyard Sports. (337) 233-7060 or email Info@AcadianaCenterfortheArts.org.
ALLIANCE FRANCAISE DE LAFAYETTE: (337) 261-1002 or http://www.aflafayette.org. Various French classes geared to all ages, including toddlers. Classes at Acadiana Symphony Association, 412 Travis St., Lafayette.
ARGENTINE TANGO: Lessons, milongas, workshops. (225) 766-1792 or (225) 572-1748 or http://www.tangolagniappe.com.
BALLROOM DANCE CLASSES & WORKSHOPS: (225) 275-8438 or (225) 921-6807, email email@example.com. 7-10 p.m. Wednesdays, “cued ballroom” dance club with classes and workshops, $25 per couple per month; 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Thursdays, workshop/class at a BREC facility, free. All ballroom dance rhythms taught.
BATON ROUGE CALEDONIAN PIPES & DRUMS: Dedicated to preserving Scottish culture and tradition. http://www.csbr.org. Beginning and advanced bagpipe and drumming lessons at no charge each Thursday evening at First Presbyterian Church of Baton Rouge. Stanley Masinter, (225) 927-0252. For Scottish country dancing, call Lyndon Williams at (225) 272-2541.
BATON ROUGE FENCING CLUB: Southside Baptist Church, 1700 Lee Drive. (225) 938-2039. Meets at 7 p.m. Monday and Thursday.
BATON ROUGE REHABILITATION HOSPITAL: 8595 United Plaza Blvd. Beginner T’ai Chi classes 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Suitable for all ages. Instructor is Michael Chow. Register at (225) 247-6892.
BAYOU HAYSTACKERS PADDLING CLUB: http://www.bayouhaystackers.com. Group includes canoeists and kayakers primarily in south Louisiana.
BEAD BONANZA: 6:30 p.m. July 14, Ascension Parish Library, Donaldsonville branch. Learn the skills needed to make jewelry and design a necklace to take home. Registration is limited. Call (225) 473-8052.
BEGINNER AND INTERMEDIATE GROUP FIDDLE LESSONS: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Tom’s Fiddle & Bow, 204 Fuselier St., Arnaudville. Taught by Henry Hample and Brazos Huval. Classes open to all, and no reservation required. Cost is $15 per class. (337) 322-5402 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
BEAD IT: 718 N. Burnside, Gonzales. Also offering art classes, mosaic classes and photography. Call for appointment. (225) 644-7862.
BEGINNER DUPLICATE BRIDGE LESSONS: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. or 6-8 p.m., Baton Rouge Bridge Club, 3033 Old Forge Drive. Also, intermediate lessons, 12:30-2:30 p.m. Eight-week lessons. $80. (225) 271-4778.
BREC, YMCA SWIMMING CLASSES: 8:15 a.m. and 5:30-6:45 p.m. Monday-Thursday, through July 7. Program designed for children ages 3 and older. Classes are 30 minutes; eight classes in a two-week session. Session costs $6.50 per person. (225) 906-5424, ext. 2307.
- Gus Young Park, 4200 Gus Young Ave.
- Howell Community Park, 5509 Winbourne Ave.
- City-Brooks Community Park, 1515 Dalrymple Drive.
- Anna T. Jordan Community Park, 1750 Stilt St. (Lessons here are 1-3:30 p.m.)
CENTRE FOR THE ARTS: 1104 W. Main St., New Roads. Classes include guitar, creative writing, pottery, tap, piano violin, voice, drums, painting and drawing. In addition, children can also take tumbling, choir, ballet and theater. (225) 638-1094 or http://www.CentrefortheArts.org.
DANCE CENTER AND SCHOOL OF PERFORMING ARTS: 3535 Jones Creek Road, (225) 753-6909. Classes in acting, art, voice, violin, piano, ballet, flamenco, modern, tap and jazz.
DANCERS’ WORKSHOP: 10745 Linkwood Court. (225) 767-5814. Adult tap, classical ballet, hip-hop, jazz. Directors, Molly Buchmann and Sharon Mathews. Classes 7:30-8:30 p.m. Thursdays.
EAST BATON ROUGE PARISH LIBRARY:
- Baker Branch Library, 3501 Groom Road, (225) 778-5950. 3 p.m. Saturday, July 2, Celebrate USA! July 4th activities for children ages 4-9. Registration required; 4 p.m. Wednesday, July 6, “Amazing Australia” Kids program focusing on Australia life, culture, and wildlife. For children aged 5-10. Registration required.
- Greenwell Springs Regional Branch Library, 11300 Greenwell Springs Road, (225) 274-4450. 2 p.m. Wednesday, July 6, “Fish Streamer Storycraft.” Children ages 5 and up. Festive party curtains. Registration required.
- Jones Creek Regional Branch Library, 6222 Jones Creek Road, (225) 756-1170. 2:30 p.m. Thursday, July 7, “Up Up & Away!,” for children ages 5 and up. Making colorful hot air balloon mobile. Registration required.
- Pride-Chaneyville Branch Libray, 13600 Pride-Port Hudson Road, (225) 658-1560. 4-5 p.m. Thursday, July 7, “Crochet a Bookworm.” For children ages 6-11. Basic crochet stitches, and simple steps to creating a bookworm craft. Registration required.
- River Center Branch Library, 120 St. Louis St., (225) 389-4959. 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 6, “Balloon Mobiles!,” making colorful balloon mobiles from cardstock, yarn, and cotton ball clouds. For children ages 4-7. Registration required; 10 a.m. Thursday, July 7, “Archaeology in Louisiana,” an introduction for children to archaeology in Louisiana. Ages 8-11. Registration required.
- Zachary Branch Library, 1900 Church St., (225) 658-1870. 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, July 6, “Little Tyke Craft Time,” making “magic carpets” to imaginary places. For children ages 4-7. Registration required; 2 p.m., “Book Bunch: The Japanese Nija Surprise,” book series reading for children ages 7-11. Registration required; 5-6 p.m. Thursday, July 7, “Chess and Checkers,” a fun hour of chess or checkers playing for children ages 6 and up. Registration required.
EAST COAST JITTERBUG CLASSES: 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Radisson Hotel, Acadian at I-10. All levels, $5 per person. (225) 236-4000 or http://www.BestDancingInBatonRouge.com.
EVOLUTIONS STUDIO: 10453 Airline Highway at Coursey Boulevard. (225) 772-6912 (Spanish) or (225) 938-6331 (English). Salsa classes for beginners and advanced. Instructor is Eliseo Perez. Cost is $7 per class. Call the number(s) above for details.
THE FRONT ROOM: 1303 Avenue A, Scott. Photography for Kids: through Aug. 22, 6-7 p.m.; Guitar for Kids, through Aug. 23, 5-5:45 p.m.; Jam Band Lab, through Aug. 23, 6-7:30 p.m.; Children’s Fiddle, through Aug. 25, 5-5:45 p.m. (337) 258-2333.
INTERNATIONAL FOLK DANCE: 7:30-10 p.m. Fridays. Learn dances from around the world. No partners necessary. For location details, call (225) 766-0517 or (225) 766-4060.
ISRAELI FOLK DANCE CLASSES: B’nai Israel Synagogue, 3354 Kleinert Ave. New members of all ages and experience levels always welcome. For details, call David Kirshner, (225) 756-5291, or email email@example.com.
JAPANESE BRUSH ART: Call Elizabeth Standifer, (225) 362-2511 to register or for more information. This is a beginners class for people with and without disabilities. Volunteers welcome.
JITTERBUG LESSONS: 7:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Onezia Upscale Lounge, 13091 Airline Highway, Gonzales. $5 a person. (225) 647-2447 or visit http://www.onezialounge.com.
LIVINGSTON PARISH CHILDREN’S CHOIR: Summer Musical Theatre Workshop, Pirates! The Musical!, July 5-9; Improv Summer Intensive, July 5-9; Summer Choir Camp, July 18-22. http://www/LPCCsing.org.
LOUISIANA ART AND ARTISTS’ GUILD: 2490 Silverest Ave. Larry Downs, all levels acrylic classes, every Thursday, 6-8 p.m., $75/month, $60 for LAAG members; Life Drawing Sessions, every Wednesday 6-9 p.m., $10 per night/$30 per month. (225) 926-4657 or http://www.laag-site.org. The Workshop Show is on display at the Independence Park Theatre Gallery until July 14.
LOUISIANE VINTAGE DANCERS: 7-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Church of the Way, 250 Foster Drive. For those interested in learning about 19th century dances, including reels, waltzes, quadrilles and the polka. Marguerite Gravois, (225) 761-5021.
MAGNOLIA MOUND PLANTATION: 2161 Nicholson Drive. (225) 343-4955. Open hearth cooking class series in conjunction with the West Baton Rouge Museum; last class is Nov. 2. Free; supplies provided. Advance registration is required.
MUGGIVAN SCHOOL OF IRISH DANCE: Now accepting new students in the Baton Rouge area. Lessons will include Irish step solo, traditional Ceili, beginners and up (all ages, all levels). For class times and dates, call (225) 926-5150 or (225) 927-9027.
PERFORMING ARTS ACADEMY FOR THE HOME-SCHOOLED: (337) 896-1874 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Classes in acting, music, ballet and modern dance and conditioning for students age 7 to adult, and creative movement for children age 3-6.
POLE FITNESS STUDIO: 440 N. Foster Drive, third floor. Visit the website at http://www.mindfulnessandmotion.com, or call (225) 272-4447, for information on classes.
RED SHOES: 2303 Government St., Baton Rouge. Pre-register for all events by calling (225) 338-1170 or go to http://www.theredshoes.org for details of this week’s offerings.
- Morning yoga: 8-9 a.m. Mondays-Fridays. Cost is $8 per class/$48 for seven classes.
- Gentle yoga: 5:30-6:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. Cost is $8 per class/$48 for seven classes.
- Mom, baby yoga: 10:30-11:30 a.m. Wednesday July 6. $8 per class/$48 for seven classes.
SHADOWS PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, July 9, Shadows-on-the-Teche, 320 E. Main St., New Iberia. $35, includes lunch. (337) 369-6446 or email email@example.com.
TAI CHI LESSONS: BREC, 8133 Jefferson Highway. 11 a.m. Tuesdays, $26 a month. (225) 926-9834.
ZHUANG’S TAICHI & KUNGFU ACADEMY: 1955 W. Muriel Drive, Baton Rouge. Suitable for all ages. (225) 936-7469 or http://www.taichiperson.com.