- ‘PETER PAN JR.’: 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., Manship Theatre, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Performance by Manship Theatre Musical Theatre Camp. $10. (225) 344-0334
- A NIGHT OF ELLA WITH QUIANA LYNELL: 7 p.m., Independence Park Theatre, 7800 Independence Blvd. A concert celebrating Ella Fitzgerald. $15. (225) 216-0660
FRIDAY, MONDAY, WEDNESDAY
- NEIGHBORHOOD ARTS PROJECT: 10 a.m.-noon Friday, the Leo S. Butler Community Center; Monday, Mt. Pilgrim Baptist Church in Scotlandville; Wednesday, Gardere Initiative Building. LSU Museum of Art brings free accessible art making to serve more than 75 children and families each day. Free. (225) 389-7207 or lsumoa.com
- ‘THE WIZARD OF OZ’: 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Pasqua Theatre, 831 Felicity St., Gonzales. An Ascension Community Theatre production. (225) 647-1230
- ‘THE SCHOOL FOR LIES’: 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Reilly Theatre, Tower Drive, LSU campus. The final production in Swine Palace’s 2014 Summerfest. $10. (225) 578-3527 or swinepalace.org. Tickets also will be available at the door.
- PADDLE BATTLE: 7:30 a.m., Baton Rouge Beach. Sponsored by Muddy Water Paddle Company. Relay race, one mile race, 2 mile race and kids’ race. No experience or boards required. A portion of the proceeds benefit EP Sports. $15-$35. (225) 328-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- RED STICK FARMERS MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, 501 Main St. Local food, produce and more for sale. Cool as a Cucumber fest. breada.org
- HEARTLA MEETING: 10 a.m., Fairwood Branch Library, 12910 Old Hammond Highway. Meeting of the Baton Rouge Chapter of Romance Writers of America. Membership is comprised of local authors, published and unpublished. Guests may attend two meetings before joining. This month the program will be writing exercises.
- MAGIC TREEHOUSE: 10:30 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Branch Library, 8101 U.S. 190, Denham Springs. To complete this challenging mission, children ages 6-11 will find clues, solve riddles, and complete activities based on the “Magic Tree House” books all while learning to use the library. Free. (225) 665-8118
- YOUTH PEACE OLYMPICS: 11 a.m., BREC Perkins Road Park, 7122 Perkins Road. Children from pre-K to 17 years old and their caregivers will do art sponsored by LSU Museum of Art. Also sports for children. lsumoa.org
- PET ADOPTIONS: 11:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Petsmart, 8660 Airline Highway. Sponsored by the Northside Humane Society. (225) 964-6992
- CONTRA DANCE: 5 p.m., St. Alban’s Chapel, Highland Road and Dalrymple Drive. No partner or experience necessary. Basics for beginners at 4:30 p.m. $6. (225) 803-9194
- TBR BEAUX ARTS BALL: 7 p.m., Theatre Baton Rouge, 7155 Florida Blvd. Entertainment, dancing and hors d’oeuvres.
- BLACK AND ORANGE BASH: 7:30 p.m., The Woman’s Club, 259 East Blvd. 1031consortium.com
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
- KIDS’ LAB: 10:15 a.m., noon and 2 p.m. Satuday, and 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. Sunday, Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 River Road S. Chemistry activities for children ages 6-12 and their caregivers. Free with admission. lasm.org
- PET ADOPTIONS: 12:30 p.m.-4 p.m., Petsmart, 8660 Airline Highway. Sponsored by the Northside Humane Society. (225) 964-6992
- CASA FIESTA: 7 p.m.-10 p.m., Mall of Louisiana, 6401 Bluebonnet Blvd., Suite 5050. Mexican cuisine donated by Caliente Mexican Craving and other local restaurants, margaritas, a silent auction and live music by The Better Than Nobody Band. This event kicks off the 20th annual Casas for CASA playhouse fundraiser presented by title sponsor Holmes Building Materials. $50 per ticket. casabr.org or (225) 379-8598
- DEWEY DECIBELS: 2 p.m., Watson Branch Library, 36581 Outback Road, Denham Springs; 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Branch Library, 8101 U.S. 190, Denham Springs. End of summer dance party with the library’s own band The Dewey Decibels. For all ages. Free.
TUESDAY AND THURSDAY
- TWILIGHT TOURS: 6 p.m.-7:30 p.m., BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo, 3601 Thomas Road. A guided ride through the zoo, an animal encounter at the Wildlife Safari Theatre and an evening snack. $16, adults and teens; $13, children 2-12. There is limited space available, and pre-registration is required. Register online. brzoo.org
- RED STICK MOBILE FARMERS MARKET: 9 a.m.-11 a.m., Scotlandville Branch Library, 7373 Scenic Highway; 12:30 p.m.-2 p.m., Star Hill Baptist Church, 1400 N. Foster Drive. Produce, recipes and food sampling.
SUMMER SOUNDS AT ST. JAMES CONCERT SERIES: 7 P.M., ST. JAMES EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 205 N. FOURTH ST. FEATURING ARMAND ST. MARTIN. RECEPTION FOLLOWS THE CONCERT. $10; FREE, COLLEGE STUDENTS. (225) 387-5141
- DANCE WORKSHOPS: 4:30 p.m., intermediate level; 6 p.m., advanced level, The Dancers’ Workshop, 10745 Linkwood Court. With choreographer Charlotte Boye-Christensen. $20 per class or $55 for all three sessions.
- OPENING RECEPTION: 5 p.m., members meeting; 6 p.m. reception, LSU Museum of Art, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Opening reception for “LeRoy Neiman: Action!” Members only.
- GALAXY SHIRTS: 6 p.m., Watson Branch Library, 36581 Outback Road, Denham Springs. Ages 12-18 can create a unique design and enjoy snacks. Register in advance to specify your T-shirt size. Free. (225) 664-3963
- LOUISIANA CRAWFISH: 6 p.m., reception; 6:30 p.m., presentation, Old Governor’s Mansion, 502 North Blvd. Presentation by Sam Irwin. $10; free, FHL members. (225) 387-24624
- ‘THE SHAPE OF THINGS’: 7:30 p.m., Theatre Baton Rouge’s Studio Theatre, 7155 Florida Blvd. $20; $17, subscribers; $18, groups of 10 or more; $14, students. (225) 924-6496
- BREC SPLASH PADS: 8 a.m.-8 p.m., City-Brooks, Forest and Greenwood Community Parks. Open through October.
- CASAS FOR CASA PLAYHOUSE RAFFLE: Visit the CASA playhouse exhibit at the lower level court of the Mall of Louisiana. Raffle tickets will be for sale for $5 each through Aug. 17. Raising Cane’s will offer a free drink coupon for every raffle ticket purchased. casabr.org
- LIVINGSTON PARISH CHILDREN’S CHORUS: New Convenant Church, Denham Springs. Fall semester begins Aug. 12. Apprentice choir for children in grades K-3 meets 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and Chorus for grades 3-10 meets 6 p.m. Tuesday. lpccsing.org or (225) 247-5555
- LSU MUSEUM OF ART: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. “Margaret Stones’ Flora of Louisiana: The Baton Rouge Connection,” on display through Aug. 3. “Nari Ward: Rooted Communities,” on display through Aug. 10. lsumoa.org
LOUISIANA ART & SCIENCE MUSEUM: 100 River Road S. Hours are 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. “American Brilliant Cut Glass:Text ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorText ColorText ColorText Color A Silver Lining” and “Herman Mhire - Emilio Garcia:Text ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorText ColorText ColorText Color The Art and Science of Shells,” through Sept. 24. $7.25 for adults; $6.25 for children ages 2-12 and seniors age 65 and older; $5 for groups of 15 or more. College students with ID and museum members are admitted free. (225) 344-5272 or lasm.org
Louisiana’s Old State Capitol: 100 North Blvd. “Light Up Louisiana” presented by the Louisiana Photographic Society. Exhibit continues until Sept. 20. (225) 342-0500.
- MANSHIP THEATRE GALLERY: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Belin “Off the Wall” exhibit, through Aug. 24.
- PET ADOPTIONS: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Companion Animal Alliance, 2680 Progress Road. Prices include spay/neuter, microchip and all vaccinations. The society also offers adoptions 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Acadian Village Petco. For more information call (225) 774-7701.
- CAT ADOPTIONS: noon-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday, Cat Haven Adoption Center, 11130 N. Harrell’s Ferry Road. The society also holds adoption events 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at the PetSmart in Siegen Marketplace and the Acadian Village Petco. (225) 636-2680
- PET ADOPTIONS: 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, The Friends of the Animals Adoption House, 8476 Highland Road. The organization also offers adoptions noon-3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Orvis in Perkins Rowe. friendsoftheanimalsbr.org
- WEST BATON ROUGE MUSEUM: 845 N. Jefferson, Port Allen. Offering free admission to all active duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day. “A Louisianian’s Grand Tour during Belle Époque” exhibit, on display through Sunday. “Carving Their Niche: The Bowie Family in Louisiana,” through Aug. 31. (225) 336-2422, ext. 15
Compiled by Emily Beck Cogburn