- NEIGHBORHOOD ARTS PROJECT: 10 a.m., Old South Baton Rouge, 1358 South Blvd. Free community art outreach program designed for all ages and hosted by the LSU Museum of Art. (225) 389-7207
- RED STICK FARMERS MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, Fifth and Main streets, downtown. Fresh Fest 2015: Star Spangled Saturday.
- FIRST SUNDAY: 1 p.m.-5 p.m., Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 River Road S. Free admission to galleries and reduced admission to planetarium shows. (225) 344-5272
FREE FIRST SUNDAY: 1 P.M.-5 P.M., LSU MUSEUM OF ART, 100 LAFAYETTE ST. (225) 389-7200
- BASIC CAPOEIRA CLASSES: 6 p.m., North Boulevard Town Square. A Brazilian art form which combines fight, dance and rhythmic movements that are performed in a dialogue between players. Free. (630) 362-2566 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- RED STICK FARMERS MARKET: 3 p.m.-6 p.m., ExxonMobil YMCA, 7717 Howell Blvd. Locally grown produce and baked goods.
CREATING A BIRD FRIENDLY BACKYARD: 6:30 P.M., ASCENSION PARISH LIBRARY, 708 S. IRMA AVE., GONZALES. JANE PATTERSON OF THE AUDUBON SOCIETY WILL TEACH PARTICIPANTS WAYS TO MAKE A BACKYARD ATTRACTIVE TO LOCAL BIRD SPECIES. (225) 647-3955
THE ECLECTIC TRUTH SLAM AND OPEN MIC POETRY READING: 7:30 P.M.-10 P.M., FIREHOUSE GALLERY, ARTS COUNCIL OF GREATER BATON ROUGE, 427 LAUREL ST. $7. FEATURING PERFORMANCES BY THE FORWARD ARTS ALL STARS (YOUTH POETRY SLAM TEAM) AND PRINCESS MCDOWELL (DALLAS, TEXAS).
- ANNUAL MEETING: 4:30 p.m., LSU Museum of Art, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Current successes with community partners and friends, and future plans will be discussed. Light refreshments will be served.
- BASIC CAPOEIRA CLASSES: 7 p.m., North Boulevard Town Square. A Brazilian art form which combines fight, dance and rhythmic movements that are performed in a dialogue between players. Free. (630) 362-2566 or email@example.com
SUMMER SOUNDS AT ST. JAMES CONCERT SERIES: 7 P.M., ST. JAMES EPISCOPAL CHURCH, 205 N. FOURTH ST. FEATURING A PERFORMANCE BY SPENCER BOHREN. $10. (225) 387-5141 OR STJAMESBR.ORG
- RED STICK FARMERS MOBILE MARKET: 8 a.m.-noon, behind Pennington Biomedical Research Center (enter from Kenilworth Boulevard). Seasonal produce and baked goods.
- LUNCHTIME LECTURE: Noon, West Baton Rouge Museum, 845 N. Jefferson Ave., Port Allen. “We All Wore Black: Mourning Dress at the End of the Civil War” by Jenna Kuttruff, PhD. (225) 336-2422
THURSDAY-FRIDAY, JULY 10
- “RED”: 7 p.m., Baton Rouge Gallery, 1515 Dalrymple Drive. Inaugural production by new local professional theater company, Nouveau Bridge Theatre Company. $18, individual; $15, students with a valid ID. (225) 383-1470 or batonrougegallery.org
THURSDAY-SATURDAY, JULY 11
- SLAM THE CLOCK: Main Library at Goodwood, 7711 Goodwood Blvd. Auditions: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday, Regionals: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday, and State Finals: 2 p.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. An AIDS Healthcare Foundation poetry slam program. Rules and content information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ARTS COUNCIL OF BATON ROUGE’S FIREHOUSE GALLERY: 427 Laurel St. “After - The Silence of the Lower 9th Ward,” photographs by John Rosenthal, with a preface by Lolis Eric Elie, afterward by John Pope, through Friday. acgbr.com
- CAAWS CAT ADOPTIONS: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays, Acadian Village Petco, 3535 Perkins Road. CAAWS.org
- CAAWS DOG ADOPTIONS: 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays, CAAWS Shelter, 6357 Quinn Drive. CAAWS.org
cat adoptions: Noon-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday, Cat Haven Adoption Center, 11130 N. Harrell’s Ferry Road. (225) 636-2680
DeAngelo’s Restaurant: 7550 Bluebonnet Blvd. “Simply Sunflowers,” through July 31. Features work by members of the River Community Church’s Creative Group. (225) 744-4367 or email email@example.com.
- FRAMEWORKS GALLERY: 8501 Highland Road.A fine art photography group show of selected works from local photographers working in either traditional film or digital processing. Exhibiting artists are Paulo Steven Diniz, Kevin Duffy, Amy James, Cathy Nystrom, Eleanor Owen-Kerr, Edward Richards, Kathy Scherer, Reni Zietz and Jim Zietz. Through July 18. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, and 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. (225) 769-0582 or fwgallery.net
- THE GALLERY AT MANSHIP THEATRE: 100 Lafayette St. “The Art of Vinyl,” an exhibition celebrating iconic album art as an expression and connection to the music and cultural trends of its era. manshiptheatre.org
- THE HEALTHCARE GALLERY: 3488 Brentwood Drive, Suite 103. “Rodney Pike - Caricature Illustration - Photo Manipulation,” through Friday, July 17, with reception 6 p.m.-9 p.m. Friday, July 10.
Jones Walker Foyer: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. “The Human Body,” paintings by the LSU Art Therapy Program in collaboration with the Baton Rouge General Regional Medical Center’s Outpatient Infusion Lab. Hours: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday and 9 a.m.-11 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Free. (225) 346-5001
Louisiana art & science museum: 100 River Road S. Hours: 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. “Dark Universe,” through July 12. Also, the exhibit, “Selected Recent Acquisitions,” through Sept. 13, and “25 Years of the Hubble Space Telescope,” through Aug. 31.
- LOUISIANA’S OLD STATE CAPITOL: 100 North Blvd. “The Enduring Architecture of A. Hayes Town.” Sponsored by the Louisiana Chapter of American Institute of Architects and Moran’s Printing, through Sept. 5. Hours: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Tuesday-Saturday. (225) 342-0500.
- LSU MUSEUM OF ART: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. “Debbie Fleming Caffery: Baton Rouge After the Storm” and “Mexico in New Orleans: A Tale of Two Americas,” both through Aug. 30. “Margaret Evangeline: ON WAR,” through Aug. 2. lsumoa.org
- LSU SCHOOL OF ART’S ALFRED C. GLASSELL JR. GALLERY: Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and noon-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- LSU STUDENT UNION GALLERY: LSU campus. “LSU Folks’ Arts & Crafts Show,” featuring works of art from LSU faculty and staff. Through Aug. 27. Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. (225) 578-5162
- PET ADOPTIONS: 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Companion Animal Alliance, 2680 Progress Road. For more information, call (225) 774-7701.
- PET ADOPTIONS: 11:30 a.m.- 4 p.m. Saturday and 12:30 p.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, PetSmart, 8660 Airline Highway. Kittens, cats, puppies and dogs available from the Northside Humane Society. (225) 964-6992
- PET ADOPTIONS: 11:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, The Friends of the Animals Adoption House, 8476 Highland Road. friendsoftheanimalsbr.org
West Baton Rouge Museum: 845 N. Jefferson, Port Allen. “Neal Family Blues,” exhibit commemorating the blues legacy of Raful Neal and his family, through July 12. “When the Cannons Fell Silent,” exhibit commemorating the sesquicentennial of the end of the American Civil War, through Aug. 16.
- YELP! BR PET ADOPTIONS: noon-4 p.m. Sundays, and 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Petco Acadian Village, 3535 Perkins Road. Applications accepted for adoption approval. (225) 485-9200 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Compiled by Leslie D. Rose