Here's what's happening this week in the area arts and cultural scene:
- The Paul and Lulu Hilliard University Art Museum, 710 E. St. Mary Blvd., Lafayette, will host Toddler Time at 10 a.m. Wednesday, a hands-on activity time for children. Admission is free. Also, the "Play Day: Music and Movement" for children is set for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. For more information, call (337) 482-0811 or visit hilliardmuseum.org.
- Theatre Baton Rouge, 7155 Florida Blvd., will conduct auditions for "A Christmas Carol" and "The Gift of the Magi" Oct. 7-8. Auditions are by appointment only. To sign up, call (225) 924-6496. If you are unable to make these auditions but still interested in auditioning, call the box office. For requirements or more information, visit theatrebr.org.
- The Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 S. River Road, admits all visitors free today as part of its monthly First Sunday free admission program. Also, the museum will host its "Atomic Art Special Effects" hands-on workshop from 10 a.m. to noon Oct. 7. For more information, call (225) 344-5272 or visit lasm.org.
- The LSU Museum of Art in the Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St., offers free admission today as part of its monthly "First Sunday" free admission program to all visitors. Also, the exhibit, "Bonjour: Au Revoir Surréalisme," runs through March 25, and "Broken Time: Sculpture by Martin Payton," opens Oct. 19. For more information, call (225) 389-7200 or visit lsumoa.org.
- Tickets are on sale for the Capitol Park Museum's "Full Moon Feast" moonlight picnic at the museum, 660 N. Fourth St., on Oct. 6. Tickets are $50 with additional tickets for dinners. For tickets or more information, call (225) 342-5428 or visit louisianastatemuseums.org/museums/capitol.park.museum.
- The Lauren-Reilly Eliot Company will perform a scene from its upcoming production of Tennessee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire" at 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Oct. 7 at The Green Room, 229 Jefferson St., Lafayette. The scene is a sneak-peek of the production, opening Oct. 13 at Cite des Arts, 109 Vine St., Lafayette. For more information, call (337) 371-5481 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tickets are on sale for Theatre Baton Rouge's production of the musical, "Sister Act," opening Nov. 3 on its Main Stage, 7155 Florida Blvd. For tickets, call (225) 924-6496 or visit theatrebr.org.
- Tickets are on sale for Of Moving Colors' production, "Nevermore," on Oct. 13 at the Manship Theatre in the Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. For tickets, call (225) 344-0334 or visit manshiptheatre.org.
- Tickets are on sale for two performances by the dance company Bodytraffic, hosted by the Baton Rouge Ballet Theatre as its 2017-18 season opener, on Nov. 5 at the Manship Theatre in the Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. For tickets, call (225) 344-0334 or visit manshiptheatre.org.