Smoked Gouda and English Muffin Strata
Serves 10-12. Recipe is from Bay’s English Muffins and featured in “No Humbug Allowed” Encore Food Focus Booklet. Recipe may be halved and baked in 8-inch square pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
6 English muffins, cubed
8 ounces smoked Gouda, waxy rind removed and sliced
8 ounces cheddar cheese, sliced or grated
8 ounces bulk sausage (pork or turkey), cooked and crumbled
4 ¾ cups milk
1?3 cup red pepper, diced
1?3 cup green pepper, diced
1 teaspoon salt
Black pepper to taste
Paprika to taste
1. Line bottom of 9-by-13-inch baking dish or pan with half of the muffin cubes.
2. Layer Gouda slices and cheddar cheese over bread cubes. Sprinkle sausage over cheeses.
3. Layer remaining bread cubes over sausage layer.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together milk, eggs, chopped peppers, salt and black pepper. Pour over ingredients in baking dish. Press down on muffin cubes to soak thoroughly.
5. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
6. Bake in preheated 325 F oven for about 2 hours or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.