Yields 6 servings.
For the chicken marinade:
2 tbls. olive oil
2 tbls. lemon juice
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried Italian seasonings
1-1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For the pasta:
1 tbl. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
3 (15-oz.) cans chopped tomatoes
1 tbl. chopped fresh basil, OR 1 tsp. dried basil
1 tbl. fresh oregano leaves, crushed OR 1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. salt
Ground red pepper or cayenne to taste
12 ozs. cooked fusilli or rotini pasta
Freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese for garnish, optional
1. Combine chicken marinade ingredients in a small bowl and blend well. Rub evenly over chicken breasts and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
2. When ready to cook, preheat grill and grill chicken breasts for about 8 to 10 minutes on each side, or until done, but not over-done. Let cool. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté garlic and parsley until golden and fragrant.
4. Add tomatoes and spices, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and let simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Toss with pasta and serve with cheese if desired.