Muscadine & Goat Cheese Crostini
Yields 12 hors d’oeuvres. Recipe is by Teresa Day.
2 cups muscadines
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
4 ounces chevre (goat cheese)
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Cut a slit in the bottom of each muscadine and squeeze out the pulp. Remove the seeds.
2. In a saucepan, bring the skins and water to a boil. In a separate saucepan, bring the pulp to a boil. Then reduce both to simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often.
3. To the pulp, add sugar, vinegar and nutmeg.
4. Pour both the skins and the pulp into a food processor. Pulse until thick and slightly chunky. Set aside to cool.
5. Blend the cheese, honey, milk, rosemary and salt until smooth.
6. Slice the baguette in ¼-inch rounds. Brush slices with olive oil then toast lightly.
7. Spread on cheese mixture then top with muscadine sauce.
8. Garnish with more rosemary and serve.