Strata With Mixed Greens and Mushrooms
Serves 6. Recipe is from American Institute for Cancer Research.
6 slices multigrain bread
1 (5-ounce) package fresh baby dark greens (mix of kale, chard, spinach)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chopped leek, white part and some pale green
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
8 ounces white mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
1½ cups (6 ounces) reduced-fat white cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
4 large eggs
2 cups 1 percent milk
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Lay bread slices out on baking sheet for 4 to 12 hours, turning them occasionally to help the bread dry out.
2. In large saucepan, boil 2 inches water. Add greens and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Drain in colander, then run cold water over greens until they are cool enough to handle, 1 minute. Squeeze excess moisture from greens, then chop finely. Set greens aside.
3. In medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add leek and onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is translucent, 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are moist, 4 minutes. Mix in greens, and cook until mixture is dry and fluffy. Set pan aside.
4. Coat 8-inch-by-8-inch-by-2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange 2 bread slices on bottom of pan. Cut two bread slices in half and fit 2 halves so bread covers bottom of pan completely. Spoon greens and mushroom mixture in even layer over bread. Sprinkle half the cheese over vegetables. Arrange remaining bread slices and halves to cover filling.
5. In mixing bowl, whisk eggs until well blended. Add milk, mustard powder, cayenne and black peppers, and whisk to combine. Pour egg mixture into pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese over strata. Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight.
6. To bake strata, preheat oven to 350 F. While oven heats, set strata on counter to come to room temperature. Bake strata, uncovered, for 40 minutes, or until top is golden, with edges of bread browned and knife inserted into center comes out clean. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 247 calories, 10 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 g carbohydrate, 19 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 405 mg sodium.