Italian Sausage and Roasted Pepper Sandwiches
Makes 4 servings. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
1 teaspoon olive oil
1½ pounds Italian sausage, casing removed
4 bell peppers (green, red, orange, yellow if preferred)
1 clove garlic, minced, optional
3 tablespoons olive oil
1½ tablespoons balsamic or wine vinegar
Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 Italian rolls or your favorite crusty roll (about 4 inches long)
Finely shredded lettuce, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. In nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium/high heat. Add sausage and break up into bite-size chunks. Cook thoroughly, allowing some browning on the meat. Remove from heat.
2. Wash and dry peppers. Line a shallow baking pan with foil. Lay peppers on their sides in the foil-lined pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until skin is blackened. Turn carefully to blacken other side. When blackened all over, remove carefully and place in plastic bag or in bowl covered with plastic wrap. When cooled enough to handle, you will be able to easily remove outside charred skin. Remove stem, inside ribs and seeds. Cut pepper into ½-inch slices and place in bowl. Add the reserved pepper juices to the bowl of sliced peppers.
3. Add minced garlic if desired.
4. Add olive oil and wine vinegar. Season lightly with pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Split rolls horizontally but not all the way though. Hollow out a little of the bread from the center top and bottom of each roll (only about ½-inch deep), just making a shallow well.
6. Heat rolls in 350 F oven until hot.
7. Spread each half with your favorite mustard. Top with Italian sausage and roasted peppers. Top with finely shredded lettuce if desired.
Use leftover roasted peppers in salads or other meat sandwiches.