Makes ½ pint jar. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
4 strips fresh bacon
1 tablespoon butter
1 small sweet onion or ½ cup cut into strips
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
¼ cup light soft brown sugar
¼ cup honey
½ teaspoon Steen’s Cane vinegar
¼ cup fig preserves
1. In a heavy saucepan, cook bacon. Let bacon drain on paper towels. Ladle out all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease from the pan.
2. Add butter, onion, garlic and paprika. Cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add brown sugar, honey, vinegar and fig preserves.
4. Crumble bacon into the pan. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens.
5. Serve warm or store in a jar in the refrigerator.