Makes 26-28 mini pies. This recipe is from Vacajun Cookery, by the Baton Rouge Auxiliary Squadron. The recipe calls for 3 frozen deep dish pie crusts but I always use the already rolled out pie crust which comes 2 to a package. That’s usually enough with just a bit left over for a sandwich the next day. The leftover filling can be spread over thinly-sliced French bread for a tasty, hot, open-face sandwich.
3 frozen pie crusts (9-inch deep dish, defrosted OR 1 (14.1-ounce) package Pillsbury Pie Crusts (just unroll, fill and bake)
1 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons butter, divided
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup broth (chicken or beef)
1 teaspoon Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning Mix or your favorite brand to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper, or to taste
1, Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Set out pie crusts to reach room temperature. Clean and finely chop mushrooms; set aside.
3. In medium non-stick skillet, sauté onions and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter over medium/high heat, stirring frequently. Cook about 3 minutes.
4. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth slowly, stirring constantly to make a rather thick mixture. It should almost hold its shape.
5. Add Worcestershire sauce, seasoning mix and cayenne. Mix well. Taste for seasoning. It should be rather spicy. Remove from heat.
6. While mushroom mixture cools, prepare pie crusts. Place one crust at a time on floured board or waxed paper. Lightly roll to make a thin crust. With a round (3-inch) cookie cutter, cut out pastry rounds. In center of each round place a small spoonful of mushroom filling. Don’t add too much because it will spill out. Fold in half to make half circles. Seal edges by pinching together to seal in filling. If you lightly dampen the edge you are pressing together with a little water on your fingertip, the two edges will stick together well.
7. You can also lightly press edges together with the tines of a fork dipped in flour.
8. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
9. These may be frozen for later use. Before baking, place on cookie sheet and freeze. Store in plastic bags. To bake, do not defrost, but bake immediately as above. You may need to add slightly more baking time.