Pork Chops with Grilled Pear & Caramelized Onions with Balsamic Glaze
Makes 8 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon
1 onion, sliced in rings
1 Asian pear or other sweet variety
8 thick pork chops
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (or prepared glaze)
1. Heat grill, indoor or out, to medium high or about 350 degrees F.
2. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet.
3. Cook the onion rings in the oil over medium heat until clear and tender, then turn the heat down to low. Cook until brown and sweet.
4. Slice the pear and remove the core. Brush both slides of each slice with olive oil.
5. Grill pear slices for about 5 or 6 minutes on each side until tender.
6. Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Brush with olive oil.
7. Grill on medium-high heat turning every 5 minutes, crossing the grill marks, until done, about 150-160 degrees F at the thickest point.
8. You can omit this step if you are using a prepared balsamic glaze from the store. Heat balsamic vinegar in small sauce pan to boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to medium and cook until thick and syrupy, about 10 minutes.
9. Place pork chops on each plate, top with slices of pear and finish with onion.
10. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve immediately.