Sweet’n Savory Teriyaki Kabobs
Makes 4 to 6 servings. Recipe is from National Onion Association and Family Features Syndicate.
¾ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1½- to 2-inch cubes
18 medium shrimp, shelled and deveined (1/2 to ¾ lb.)
½ cup olive oil
½ cup prepared mango chutney, chopped if coarse
½ cup bottled teriyaki sauce
2 tbls. balsamic vinegar
18 large bamboo or metal skewers (about 12 inches long)
1 medium yellow onion, cut into ½-inch wedges
1 medium red on ion, cut into ½-inch wedges
2 firm, ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and cut into large cubes (add more if desired for kabobs)
1 large green bell pepper, halved, trimmed, seeded and cubed
Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
Ginger Mango Dipping Sauce:
1 mango, halved, pitted and scooped out of skin (about 1 cup)
¼ cup frozen orange juice concentrate
2 tsps. grated fresh ginger root (or ½ tsp. ground ginger)
1. Place chicken and shrimp in shallow glass pan or large re-sealable plastic bag. For marinade, combine oil, chutney, teriyaki sauce and vinegar in small bowl with lid. Pour half of marinade mixture over chicken and shrimp. Cover or seal and marinate in refrigerator at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
2. If using bamboo skewers, soak in water at least 1 hour before using.
3. To prepare kabobs: Drain and discard marinade from meat. Thread chicken, yellow and red onion, mango, green pepper and shrimp alternately onto skewers. Be sure to keep enough room at one end of each skewer to use as a handle.
4. Coat grill grate with nonstick cooking spray. Place skewers over medium coals, and grill for 12 to 15 minutes or until meat is done and vegetables are tender. Brush often with reserved marinade and turn skewers until cooked through. If needed, use spatula to gently loosen skewers before turning as they may stick.
5. To make sauce: Combine sauce ingredients in electric blender or processor and puree until smooth.
6. Arrange skewers on a platter and serve with Ginger Mango Dipping Sauce.
Alternate preparations: Omit shrimp and use 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cutting into 36 cubes and using 2 per skewer. Instead of grilling, place kabobs in broiler pan coated with nonstick cooking spray and broil 3 inches from heat about 10 to 15 minutes or until done, basting and turning as needed.