Fills 5 to 6 peppers. Recipe is from Carmen Kellerman, of New Roads, who says these are the kind her mother, Katie Vanchiere, made.
5 or 6 bell peppers, tops removed, white veins and seeds removed
1-1/2 to 2 tbls. vegetable oil
1 lb. ground round
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup yellow onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1 (14.5-oz.) can chicken broth
Salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste
1 pkg. Jiffy cornbread mix, made according to package directions
1/2 stick butter cut into pats
1. Lightly coat bottom of sauté pan with vegetable oil and brown meat until no longer pink and just slightly browned.
2. Add green onions, onions, garlic and celery. Sauté meat and seasonings for about 10 minutes then add chicken broth. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Continue cooking over low heat for about 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make cornbread as directed. When baked, crumble.
4. Add crumbled cornbread to meat mixture. Check for seasoning. Add more if desired. Set aside.
5. Plunge cleaned peppers in boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes, remove and drain upside down.
6. Fill each pepper with cornbread-meat mixture and place in casserole dish or baking pan.
7. Cover peppers with foil and put in preheated 325-degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until dressing firms up. Remove foil and add pat of butter on the top of each pepper. Place back in oven and let the tops “crisp up” a little.
8. After peppers are completely cooled, Kellerman refrigerates them, then wraps them individually in plastic wrap and freezes them on a cookie sheet. Once they’re completely frozen, she places them in a self-sealing plastic bag in the freezer. That way, she says, they keep their shape.