Meal in a Pita Pocket
Serves 1 to 2. Recipe is from “Cook Your Way Through the S.A.T.: Recipes Worth a Thousand Words” by Charis Freiman-Mendel with Jennie Ann Freiman.
4 button mushrooms
1/2 red onion
1 small tomato
1/2 small cucumber
1 small avocado
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbl. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup baby spinach
1 small lemon, juiced
1 tbl. minced jalapeño pepper
3 tbls. Greek yogurt
1 pita pocket, sliced in half
3 tbls. plain hummus
1. Thinly slice the mushrooms, onion and tomato, and separate the onion into rings. Peel and dice the cucumber. Mash the avocado.
2. Sauté the mushrooms, onion and a pinch of salt and pepper in the oil on a medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until it wilts, another 1 to 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. Combine the avocado, lemon juice and jalapeño in a bowl and mix until it resembles a sauce. Set aside.
4. Combine the yogurt and cucumber in a bowl, and set aside.
5. Place the pita halves in a pan on a medium-high heat and cook on each side for about 1 to 2 minutes.
6. To assemble the pockets, place half of each vegetable and half the hummus, avocado mixture and yogurt mixture into each pita half.
Tip: Add grilled chicken and/or crumbled feta cheese for extra flavor.