Makes 8 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
¼ cup shortening or coconut oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Stir all ingredients together. Roll out to about a ½-inch thick. Cut with a biscuit cutter or rim of a glass.
2. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on racks.
2 cups strawberries, diced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Stir together all ingredients and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Cream cheese filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1. Beat cream cheese and sugar. Add milk, almond extract and nutmeg. Chill until ready to serve.
2. To assemble the dessert, cut each biscuit in half, spread cream cheese filling on the bottom half, top with strawberries. Place second half of biscuit on top of strawberries. Spoon more cream cheese on the biscuit top, then top with more strawberries. Garnish with edible flowers or mint.