Frozen Kahlua Cake
Serves 12-14. Recipe is from The Dallas Symphony Cookbook. This cake is baked, glazed and frozen. Remove from freezer 1 hour before serving and top each slice with dollop of whipped cream.
¾ cup butter (1½ sticks)
2 cups sugar
¾ cup cocoa
4 egg yolks (reserve the egg whites)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cold water
½ cup cold coffee
½ cup Kahlua (I used a little less)
1 1/3 cups flour
2 tablespoons vanilla (I used a little less)
4 (reserved) egg whites, stiffly beaten
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup Kahlua
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour Bundt pan and set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and creamy.
3. Add cocoa and egg yolks. Beat until mixed.
4. In small bowl, dissolve soda in water and combine with coffee and Kahlua; add to batter, alternating with flour.
5. Add vanilla and fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
6. Pour into prepared greased and floured Bundt pan.
7. Bake for 1 hour.
8. Cool 5 minutes, then remove from pan onto cake platter.
9. For glaze, combine sugar and kahlua and spoon or pour slowly over warm cake; cool, then cover with foil and freeze.
10. About 1 hour before serving, remove from freezer. Slice and serve with dollop of whipped cream.