Rambo Red Beans and Rice
Serves 4. Recipe is from John Panaro, chef-owner of Anne’s Table in Lafayette.
1 bunch kale
1/2 cup vegetable stock and/or anise-flavored green tea
1 tbl. olive oil for pan
1/2 medium onion, minced
2 tsps. minced garlic
1/4 cup white wine
2 cups cooked red beans
2 cups cooked brown rice
1/4 cup pine nuts
11/2 tsps. dried thyme or tarragon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
1. Tear or cut kale leaves from the center rib and tear or cut into bite-size pieces. Wash and drain in colander. Chop and set aside.
2. Heat 1/2 cup vegetable stock to a simmer in a small stock pot.
3. Heat a large sauté pot on medium-high and add oil when it’s hot. Add onions and sweat until they lose most of their liquid and just start to brown. Add garlic and stir around pan until you can smell it cooking, about 1 minute.
4. Deglaze the pot with the wine and add the greens and red beans. Let the wine reduce until it’s almost gone. Add chicken stock and reduce liquid by about 3/4.
5. Mix in brown rice and pine nuts and stir until both are warm. Season with thyme or tarragon, salt and pepper.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 250 calories, 10 grams protein, 31 grams carbohydrate; 2 grams fat, 8.3 grams fiber, 0 cholesterol, and 236 milligrams sodium.