Do-Ahead Sausage Casserole
Serves 8-10. This is a casserole Carol Peltier makes. Her recipe uses link sausage.
8 slices soft bread, cut in 1-inch cubes
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1½ lbs. of your favorite sausage links, cooked and cut into thirds
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2¾ cups milk
¾ tsp. dry mustard
1 (10-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
Fresh fruit, if desired
1. Spray 9x13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick coating. Set aside.
2. Spread bread evenly in bottom of prepared glass baking dish. Layer cheese over bread.
3. Arrange sausage over cheese.
4. In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, dry mustard and soup together until well blended. Spoon over sausage and cheese mixture.
5. Cover tightly with foil. Refrigerate overnight. Can be frozen at this point, if desired.
6. Place in cold oven, keeping the foil tightly attached, and set temperature for 300 F.
7. Bake 1½ hours, covered, or until eggs are cooked through. Serve with your choice of fresh fruit.