Easy Baked Chicken
Serves 6-8. (I baked 3 halves). Recipe is from Corinne Cook.
1 or 2 large fryers, depending on many you wish to serve, halved
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
Vegetable or olive oil
Celery, onion or bell pepper to place under chicken
1. Rinse chicken well under cold water, removing visible fat. Pat dry and set aside. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. In small bowl combine salt, cayenne and black pepper. Stir to blend. You will have more than you need for this recipe, but use remainder as seasoning mix for other foods.
3. Rub chicken halves with oil then season generously on both sides with seasoning mix.
4. Lightly spray shallow, rimmed baking pan with nonstick coating. Place a piece or two of celery, onion or bell pepper in baking pan and place chicken (skin side up) over the celery, onion or bell pepper.
5. Bake, uncovered, in 300 F oven for 2½ hours, basting every time you walk through the kitchen or about every 30 minutes. If chicken is not browned enough at the end of the cooking time, turn up the heat to 400 F to brown.