Miss Dobbins’ Potato Salad
Makes 15-20 servings. Recipe is from Kitty Hessburg. A good, make-ahead recipe if you’re having a party or company coming in for the holidays.
5 lbs. red potatoes
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sugar (I used 2?3)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup water
1 egg, beaten
2 or 3 drops of yellow food coloring
1 cup Hellmann’s mayonnaise
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
4 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
Salt and white pepper to taste
Garnish, 2 slices cooked and crumbled bacon, herb sprig, or daisy or tulip cut from 1 extra boiled egg
1. Boil potatoes until tender; peel and cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside in large bowl.
2. In medium saucepan, add flour, sugar, dry mustard and salt. Stir in vinegar, water and beaten egg. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in yellow food coloring; cool. Add mayonnaise.
4. To potatoes add chopped onion, celery, eggs, salt and white pepper to taste. Add dressing according to creaminess you like. Any leftover dressing can be covered and refrigerated to use later on sandwiches.
5. Cover and refrigerate potato salad overnight. Garnish top of salad as desired to serve.