Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
24 sweet potatoes (medium size)
1½ tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
3 ounces cream cheese (I used the 1/3 less fat variety)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1½ tablespoons sherry OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup chopped pecans
21. Preheat oven to 350 F. Wash outside of potatoes; dry on paper towel.
2. Rub or brush vegetable oil over sweet potato peeling. Place potatoes on cookie sheet and place in preheated oven. Bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. After baking 1 hour, raise oven temperature to 400 F and cook an additional 10 minutes. The potatoes should be tender; if not, continue cooking additional few minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
3. Reset oven to 350 F.
4. Cut a thin section of peeling away from the top of the potato, making an opening just large enough to scoop out the potato flesh. Leave ¼-inch-thick wall inside the potato skin. Reserve the potato skin for stuffing. Place potato pulp in mixer bowl. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
5. Add brown sugar, cream cheese, butter and sherry or vanilla. Whip potatoes and cream cheese mixture until well blended and fluffy.
6. Use a piping bag or cut about ¼-inch off one corner of a plastic zippered bag, and use that as a piping bag. Fill the bag with the whipped potato mixture and pipe the mixture into the sweet potato shells; dividing the mixture evenly among the potato shells.
7. Top each with a sprinkling of chopped pecans.
8. Place filled potatoes back on cookie sheet and reheat for 20-30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.