Makes 1 (9-inch) pie.
6 to 8 large ripe peaches (or 3 cups fresh frozen unsweetened peaches)
1 tbl. fresh grated ginger
1/4 tsp. fresh grated cinnamon stick
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbls. melted butter
1 box ready-made pie dough OR fresh pie dough
1. Peel and slice the peaches and place them into a large mixing bowl.
2. Grate in the fresh ginger and cinnamon and add in the light brown sugar.
3. Sprinkle in the flour and salt. Toss to coat and set aside while you are getting the pie crust ready.
4. Place one of the unbaked pie crusts in the bottom of a pie pan. Press the dough into the bottom of the pan and up the sides. Fill the pie with the peach mixture and drizzle with melted butter.
5. With the second crust, unfold it and cut it into 1-1/2- inch strips.
6. Starting on the left edge of the pie, lay one strip vertically on top and then the next strip horizontally. Continue laying the strips across the pie to create a lattice effect on top. Tuck in the edges and crimp.
7. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the pie is golden.
Kitchen Helpers: Fresh peaches are a treat in the summer. Kids will love helping to cut the peaches and make the lattice design on the top.