Crawfish in a Bundle
Serves 8 or more. This recipe submitted by Fran Cook to “More Please!” cookbook by St. Thomas More Catholic School.
1 (13-ounce double loaf) Pepperidge Farm French Bread
½ stick butter
1 cup celery, chopped
½ cup onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon Season All
1 pound peeled Louisiana crawfish tails
½ cup chopped black olives
½ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dry mustard
½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
½ cup mild cheddar cheese, grated
3 tablespoons additional melted butter for brushing outside of bread loaves, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Slice French bread in half lengthwise. Hollow out both pieces of each loaf, leaving at least ½-inch thick shell.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter on low heat and stir in celery, onion and spices. Simmer about 5 minutes.
4. Add crawfish and olives. Cook about 5 minutes or until crawfish are hot.
5. Add mayonnaise and dry mustard. Mix well. Gently stir in cheeses.
6. Fill the hollowed out bottoms of each loaf with the mix. It may be mounded on top. Put the tops back on. Baste outside with melted butter if desired.
7. Wrap each loaf in aluminum foil.
8. Bake for 30 minutes.
9. Slice to serve.