Creamy Cheese Grits
Serves 8. I tasted these delicious grits at a brunch at my daughter’s house. The recipe came from her friend, Jennifer Bloodworth.
1 cup grits
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter (8 tablespoons)
1 (6-ounce) roll garlic cheese (or substitute 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese with ½ teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste)
½ cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray 2-quart baking dish with nonstick coating and set aside.
2. In medium saucepan, cook grits in 4 cups water with salt. Cook according to directions on box of grits.
3. After grits are cooked, stir in the butter and cheese. Stir until melted. Remove from heating element and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
4. In small bowl, beat eggs and milk together. Whisk in sour cream.
5. Slowly add the egg, milk and sour cream mixture to the cooked grits.
6. Pour into prepared 2-quart baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until mixture looks “set” or slightly firm.
7. Serve as a side dish or with shrimp, grillades or sausage over the top.