Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast
Makes 4-6 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
4 ounces blended cream cheese (any sweet variation)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pinch of salt
4-6 slices French bread
1. Set the cream cheese out to soften. Preheat griddle or skillet to medium high heat.
2. Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, sugar and pinch of salt in a large bowl.
3. Slice the French bread in 1 to 1 1/2-inch thick slices at an angle. Cut a slit in the top of each just over half way down to make a pocket in each slice.
4. Using a small spoon, fill each pocket with cream cheese.
5. Dip each stuffed slice into the egg mixture then place on the hot griddle or skillet.
6. Cook until the outsides are lightly brown and the cream cheese just begins to melt, about 2 minutes per side.
7. Serve warm with maple syrup and dusted with powdered sugar.