Makes 18 muffins. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
2 cups cold water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups loquats, pitted and diced
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 large egg
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1¼ cups sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat oven to 375 F. Grease a muffin pan or line with paper liners.
2. Pour water and lemon juice in a bowl or measuring cup. Cut loquats in half and remove pits. Place in the water as you go. Set aside.
3. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, cream egg, sugars and butter together with a mixer. Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
5. Strain the loquats then toss to coat in the dry ingredients. Fold the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture until combined. Spoon into muffin cups.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm.