Makes 6 (2-1/2-inch) cakes.
1 lb. catfish (about 1-1/2 cups cooked and coarsely broken up)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbl. butter, melted
1 tbl. butter
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
3/4 cup cooked mashed potatoes
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1 tbl. mayonnaise
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper or Cajun seasoning, as desired
For breading mixture:
1 cup toasted bread crumbs
Pinch of dried basil
Pinch of thyme
1. Lightly season catfish with salt and pepper. In nonstick pan, quickly sauté in melted butter just until flaky. Don’t overcook. Remove from pan, drain and set aside to cool.
2. In same clean skillet, melt additional tablespoon of butter and sauté bell pepper, celery and onion. Cook until vegetables are soft. When vegetables are tender, add them to the cooked mashed potatoes.
3. Add the dry mustard, mayonnaise and beaten egg. If you think you will need more seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to blend.
4. Add the cooked, coarsely flaked catfish and gently stir to mix all ingredients. You do not want to mush the catfish.
5. Gently shape into 2-1/2-inch patties. Dust with breading mixture and set aside. If patties are too soft and will not hold together, you may have to add more mashed potatoes or a little bread crumbs to the catfish.
6. Dust them with breading mixture. For delicate patties, I hold them in one hand, sprinkling breading mixture over them with the other hand.
Olive and Caper Sauce
4 tbls. mayonnaise
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. sweet relish
4 or 5 pimento stuffed olives, chopped
1/2 tsp. small capers, or to taste
1/2 tsp. finely chopped onion or green onion
Squeeze of lemon, if desired
Shake of Tabasco
Mix all ingredients and serve with Catfish Cakes.