Serves 8. Recipe is from Corinne Cook.
1½ quarts water
1 tablespoon salt or to taste
3 quarts chopped cabbage, coarsely chopped
1?3 cup butter
¼ cup flour
1 1?3 cups milk
Black and cayenne pepper to taste
1 1?3 cups grated Cheddar cheese
¼ cup chopped pimento, or a little more if you like
2 cups soft bread crumbs, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease or spray 6-quart baking dish or casserole and set aside.
2. Bring salted water to a boil and add the chopped cabbage. Cook until tender but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
3. In large saucepan make white sauce by melting butter then whisking in the flour. Stir constantly until well blended.
4. Slowly begin adding the milk while constantly stirring. Continue cooking and whisking, over medium-high heat, until mixture thickens. When thickened, lower heat and remove from heat while you season to taste with salt and peppers.
5. If necessary, put back on low heat and add the cheese. Stir gently and constantly until cheese is melted. Add pimento and remove from heat.
6. Fold in cabbage and half of the bread crumbs. (The other half will be on the top).
7. Spoon into prepared baking dish. Top with remaining bread crumbs.
8. Bake in 350 F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Editor’s note: The recipe was corrected Jan. 2, 2015, to add a missing ingredient and instruction.