Oven-Candied Sweet Potatoes and Tangerines (or Satsumas)
Serves 6. Recipe is from “Louisiana Largesse,” edited by the late Pat Baldridge.
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
¾ cup apple juice or cider
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ tsp. ginger
½ tsp. salt
1 tbl. butter or margarine
2 or 3 tangerines, satsumas or Clementines, peeled, seeded and cut into thin wheels
1. Lightly grease or spray 2½-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Arrange sweet potatoes in a greased (2½-quart) casserole dish.
3. In small saucepan mix apple juice, brown sugar, ginger, salt and butter. Heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Pour over sweet potatoes.
4. Bake uncovered in 350 F oven for 45 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, turning occasionally.
5. Place tangerine wheels over sweet potatoes and spoon some of the syrup over the fruit and bake an additional 5 minutes.