French Toast Casserole
Serves 8. Recipe is from “Cooking Up a Legacy of Faith” cookbook published by St. John’s Rosary Altar Society of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Zachary. This recipe was submitted by Jeanne Partin.
1 loaf French bread, cut into about 1-inch cubes
8 ozs. cream cheese, cubed
2½ cups milk
½ cup maple syrup
¾ cup sugar
6 tbls. butter, melted
Additional maple syrup, if desired
Fresh fruit, for serving
1. Cut bread into cubes. Cut cream cheese into cubes. Lightly grease 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish with butter.
2. Place half of the bread in the baking dish along with the cream cheese cubes. Top with the rest of the bread.
3. In mixing bowl add eggs, milk, maple syrup and melted butter. Whisk together until eggs are well blended. Pour over the top of the bread cubes.
4. Press down with a spatula until all the bread is wet. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2-24 hours.
5. Bake uncovered, in preheated 325 F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with fresh fruit of your choice.
Note: The newly published “Cooking Up a Legacy of Faith” cookbook is available for purchase for $20 each from the church office. Call (225) 654-5778 for information.