Makes about 30 bars. Recipe is from “The Silver Palate Cookbook” by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins. I make these every year for the reception following Rosh Hashana services.
1/2 lb. butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
12 ozs. semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-inch-by-12-inch baking pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolk. Beat well.
3. Sift in flour, mixing well, then stir in vanilla. Spread batter in the prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Cover cake layer with chocolate chips and return to oven for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and spread melted chocolate evenly over top. Sprinkle with nuts. Cool completely in pan before cutting.