Makes 8 (1-cup) servings.
4 cups water
1-1/2 cups cornmeal, or polenta uncooked
1 (11-oz.) can whole-kernel corn mixed with green and red peppers, drained
1 (7-oz.) can green chiles
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbl. margarine or butter
6 ozs. reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 (15-oz.) can rinsed black or pinto beans
1 red bell pepper, cut into rings
1. In a medium sauce pan, bring the water to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal or polenta. Reduce heat to low.
2. Continue stirring, add the corn, chiles and the salt. Cook 6-8 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
3. Gently stir in the margarine, cheese and beans.
4. Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving dish.
5. Garnish with red bell pepper rings and cilantro.
Cost: $4.38 per recipe, 55 cents per serving.