Crabmeat & Brie Soup
Makes 8-12 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 stick butter
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon hot sauce
6 cups half and half
1 tablespoon vermouth
1 teaspoon lemon juice
6 ounces brie cheese, without the rind
12 ounces crabmeat
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend (such as Tony Chachere’s or Red Stick’s Zydeco)
1. Heat the oil and butter in a 5-quart pot. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and sautée until the onion is clear and the peppers are tender.
2. Start the roux by whisking in the flour in the center first, then working out until the vegetables are coated.
3. Whisk in the hot sauce, half and half, vermouth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium.
4. Remove as much of the rind as possible from the brie with a vegetable peeler. Cut the brie into cubes and slowly fold it in the soup until melted.
5. Gently stir in the crabmeat, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning blend. Serve immediately.