Savory Crêpes With Creole Tomato
Serves 8. Recipe is by Crêpes à la Cart, New Orleans.
For the crêpes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 pinch salt
2 tbls. melted butter, plus a little extra for the pan
For the filling:
2 cups fresh or shredded mozzarella cheese
2 large Creole tomatoes, thinly sliced, lightly salted to taste
Chopped fresh basil to taste
8 slices smoked bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled (optional)
1. Make the crêpes: Whisk together the eggs and the flour. Stir in the milk, salt and butter and whisk until batter is smooth.
2. Heat a 9-inch flat-bottom pan over medium heat. Coat the bottom with butter and wipe off excess.
3. Pour 1/4 cup batter into the pan; tilt and swirl n a circular motion until the batter coats the surface. When the underside just begins to lightly crisp, turn the heat to low, loosen the edges with a heat-resistant spatula, flip and lightly cook the other side until just firm.
4. Stack each crêpe carefully on an oven-safe plate and set in a warm oven while you finish cooking the remainder of the crêpes.
5. Fill the warm crêpes: Scatter about 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese over half of each crêpe. Place tomato slices over the cheese, top with chopped fresh basil and crumbled bacon. Fold crêpes into triangles to make cone shapes. Warm in oven if necessary to melt the cheese.