Goat Cheese-Stuffed Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4. Recipe from Alison Ladman. Slice the potatoes thickly to hold the smear of butter, goat cheese, orange zest and fresh thyme between the slices. If you’d like to crisp the edges of your potatoes, open the foil on top of each after about 10 minutes of cooking.
4-ounce log goat cheese
2 tablespoons butter, softened
Zest of 1 orange
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium sweet potatoes
1. Heat one side of the grill to medium.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the goat cheese, butter, orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the pepper, thyme and garlic. Set aside.
3. One at a time, cut deep slits crosswise into each sweet potato. The slits should be spaced about 1/2 inch apart and cut down to within about 1/4 inch of the base of the potatoes. Don’t cut all the way through; you want the potato slices to remain attached at the bottom. Microwave the potatoes for 5 minutes on high.
4. Use a thin spreading knife to carefully spread a small amount of the goat cheese mixture between each of the slices in the potatoes. Brush each sweet potato all over with olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Wrap each potato in foil, then place on the cooler side of the grill. Cook, moving them occasionally to prevent burning, for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender all the way through.
5. Allow to remain wrapped and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: 260 calories; 130 calories from fat (50 percent of total calories); 14 g fat (8 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 30 mg cholesterol; 680 mg sodium; 27 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 5 g sugar; 8 g protein.